Getting my ducks in a row - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Getting my ducks in a row

I would like to start trapping next year.I was just wondering where most of you guys prep you hides.Is it in you garage,shed or outside.Do you need a heated area so the hides don't freeze.just trying to get some ideas so I will be ready this up and coming season.I have no traps as of yet I did buy land and set trapping by Charles dobbins.also just think of starting with coons first and working my way up to canines.I don't even know if that makes any sense.think of taking a course from game commission as well any info/ advice would be great thanks in advance

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.
(Fred bear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Re: Getting my ducks in a row

The course would be a great step in the right direction..

Outside that it depends how you plan to sell your catch...if you have a buyer close he may buy them right out of the trap still on the carcass...or could sell them "green" which is skinned and fresh...I sold green for a while..I'd freeze them and that them out before I'd take them to the buyer and dry the fur and brush it out nice...

Or you can sell "put up" or "finished" which is fleshed and dried..more time and work and equipment but you'd see more money from finished fur...

I flesh and dry my fur in my garage...if it's nice out i flesh in the back yard behind the fence..my garage is in the house but not heated..doesn't stay real warm in the winter...a fan to keep the air moving and a dehumidifier if its damp really helps a lot...the lower the temps the longer it takes to dry...

Fur handling takes some work and time to learn... Making wrong cuts, cutting holes with the fleshing knife etc cost money and it can turn a 20$ pelt into a couple bucks quick..

It is also time consuming...I've done 75 coon or so and its still half hour or so per coon...when I started it was ever bit of an hour or so..

Trapping coon would be a good place to start..fairly abundant and usually easy enough to find and catch..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

My garage is not heated as well. I would consider selling them right out of the trap till I learn more as I go. How does one go about finding a buyer?I am not really trying to make money out of this. Just gets me outdoors and in return makes me a better outdoorsman.

(Fred bear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

The closest buyer that I know of would be in Latrobe..not sure how far that is for you...there (was) 2 buyers there..not sure if they are both still buyers or if they buy carcass critters..

Skinning is relatively simple...other than beaver...but many people still mess up skinning..its a lot easier to skin and freeze and make a trip or 2 or 3 to the buyers IMO..

Lots of good videos on the net on skinning (as well as some bad ones..).

Could skin in the garage or in the woods etc...most my private land coon (from my coon dog) get skinned right where they hit the ground...on state game lands can't leave carcasses so I carry it to the truck..drive to the next spot..turn the dog loose and skin the coon from a tree..canines and such I skin back at the farm and dump in my carcass pile for the year..

Different buyers have different rules...so you're on the right path finding buyers now and seeing if they Will take carcass critters or green fur will help come fall..

I always called ahead and said "I have 40 skinned coon would you be interested".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 AM

I am not far from you I could show what little I know about putting up fur if you like.

I would also like to say the pa/fta convention is at the wwashington fairgrounds in june. great place to meet learn and dream.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The district 3 trapper's school will be held in September, date and site is still to be determined. This would be a great starting point.

Like Longear said, don't miss the PTA / FTA rendezvous, June 19-22 in Washington.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Longear ,I would definitely take you up on that offer.

Longear you don't belong to collier sportsmen by chance?

(Fred bear)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM

yes I belong to collier

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

dave3.

Does that Trappers School then qualify one to purchase a fur taker's license?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It does not, but it will help you out in the learning curve. To purchase your 1st furtaker license, you would have to take the PGC hunter/trapper safety class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page