Trappers by the Numbers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trappers by the Numbers

There was a post in the general hunting section about the wild pheasant releases and somebody posted that they don't stand a chance because of dwindling numbers of trappers are not taking the predators out. I thought to myself that this was not accurate and once I looked it up was surprised by the findings.

The number of furtaker licenses sold in Pennsylvania has doubled over the past 10 years.
2002: 19,251
2012: 38,341

However, the number of licensed adult hunters in the state has dropped by more that 100,000!
2002:749,352
2012:645,885

Bobcat and fisher permits are only listed for 2010,2011 and 2012 since these are fairly new season.
Bobcat: 15,245 in 2012
Fisher: 3,729 in 2012

So, in reality, the number of hunters are dwindling but the number of trappers and predator hunters are really increasing by quite a bit. I guess we'll see how well that holds up if the fur prices keep dropping.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=596054&mode=2

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trappers by the Numbers

I see an increase in young trappers. I think that this is good. Let us be careful and not damage the new fruit as it were. We need this need this new crop of trappers.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM

The numbers are skewed greatly IMO...

Predator hunting has gone mainstream...everyone wants to be a predator hunter now..yes..trapping is a little more popular...but I think a bulk of the increase is in predator hunters...its blown up in the last 10 years...

Trapping is more popular..no doubt about it..but its work and time consuming..with job lay offs some did start trapping..I'm guilty of it..gave me something to do while I waited for a job...

Similar to spring turkey hunting..when dad started in the early 90s and even through the 90s when I started the numbers weren't nearly what they are today...archery hunting also seen the same..

Although less licenses are sold as a whole now I think more hunters are into more than just deer hunting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

All very good points Mauser! Yes, the number of predator hunters has really increased. But you're right when it comes to hunter participation in various sports. I started bowhunting the same year I started trapping, when I was 13 years old in 1979. Virtually nobody bowhunted then. Although trappers were probably a little more common then than now. My first spring turkey hunt was in May of '79 as well and I remember I had to talk my dad into taking me because he used to say, spring just doesn't feel like hunting season.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Its interesting....I'm guessing TV shows and the internet have really helped...for a while it was mainly deer hunting and archery shows...then turkey got big...now predator hunting...it seems to coorelate IMO...and the internet...there ain't much a guy can't learn to do with the internet literally in some of our pockets...I can pull up an article or video while making a set for reference...

I'm a self taught archer..trapper..fly fisher..flintlocker..etc...the internet was huge to making it all possible for me and shortening the learning curve...

It'd be interesting to see how many furtakers licenses are actually trappers....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
.the internet was huge to making it all possible for me and shortening the learning curve...
Back when I was a youth, before Brother Gore invented the internet, the ins and outs of fox trapping were guarded secrets.

Today I see you young fellows starting out trapping foxes and coyotes. Back in the days I'm referring to everyone began trapping muskrats and/or skunks.

There is no doubt videos and the internet made learning easier.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 AM

Deer hunting [censored] in alot of areas anymore and people still want to enjoy the outdoors.Trapping and seeing some animals is much more fun than sitting their all day waiting for that one deer on the mountain.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

All good points. One other thing that plays into the numbers, You have to buy a furtaker license to hunt bobcat.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 AM

Good point... I'm sure a healthy handful are buying furtaker and bobcat permits to try for a cat as well...I know buddies that have done just that.."lets go to camp and try to hunt bobcats this winter!".

Old mink, I've talked to some older trappers...they said the same thing...back then if you asked someone how to trap a fox "by the foot" was the answer given...

I do appreciate the help I've gotten through the years..I know without it I wouldn't have even started...let alone became successful fairly quickly...my first season I nailed 3 coyotes in a couple weeks...first time ever trying for fox and I nailed 3 in 5 checks with a half dozen traps in 1 spot..wanted to start putting up my own fur...I went from skinning coon wrong and selling green to shipping to nafa and getting a top lot...

The internet and some of you guys on it are huge...and I for one appreciate it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Banned

Iím with you mouser and OldMink youíre both spot on in my book. I can remember going to a PTA show years ago and Paul and the crew had trapperman.com hats and shirts on and my buddy said whatís that? I said, I have no ideaÖ

The instant fame and learning curve provided by the internet, the money involved in marketing of things like trapping videos, lures ect.., and the mystique applied to it all by the internet and T.V. shows has been a game changer.

Everything has changed and will never be the same again, ice fishing, trapping steelhead fishing, archery, predator hunting, and turkey hunting just to name a few things. That have just blew up and took off like a rocket. Now people just Google it, read a couple threads, develop an opinion from them, and think they have a vast understanding and skill set of how this or that works or is to be done. They are masters of a craft. Iím not saying itís good or bad, it just is.

There are definitely more trapper/fur takers out there now days. A larger portion of that stems from all the hype of predator hunting and how PA handleís bobcat and fisher permits too. But the numbers of those who trap are definitely on the rise as well. The more I trap the more people I see doing it. Where I drop my furs off to ship to NAFA, he said he has 400 new clients shipping this season alone. Now a portion of that is due to the rise of last seasonís prices.

I personally feel the time, commitment, work involved, will decrease the numbers who actually fur trap over the years. Predator hunting probably not, I think that will continue to rise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page