Beaver input - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Beaver input

I am headed to camp at Pymatuning on Saturday to put in 5 days of beaver trapping. I have some areas scouted(hope the ice is gone). Any suggestions on sets that are productive or other tips will be welcome. This is my first time for beaver. I got a few in Dec. in Ohio under the ice, but never had any open water. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Beaver input

I really like setting a dive log out for them. Find a narrow part of the crick that the beavers are running an run a decent size log the whole way across. Have the log just barley under water so the beaver has to dive under it. Put a 330 coni in the middle of the crick under the log. Run a fence of sticks to block off its path so it has no other way to go but through the trap. I also like running snares for them also. Very effective.

Field Staff at Boondock Outdoors
Field Staff at Bees O'Brien Game Calls
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAnighthunter89
I really like setting a dive log out for them. Find a narrow part of the crick that the beavers are running an run a decent size log the whole way across. Have the log just barley under water so the beaver has to dive under it. Put a 330 coni in the middle of the crick under the log. Run a fence of sticks to block off its path so it has no other way to go but through the trap. I also like running snares for them also. Very effective.
That's exactly how I caught that beaver this past Saturday. Also, beavers are very territorial, make a castor mound set. Just pile mud on the bank with some beaver castor. Either place a #3 coilspring in front or set a 330 in a channel before the castor mound.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Find fresh sign-Death Yacht, dab o castor, sharpen knife! When it works man does it feel good!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Regular Visitor

I do agree that beavers are territorial, but I trapped a piece of property last year where the beavers never investigated the castor mound. I dont know why, I was extremely puzzled. So that was a snare an coni only location.

Field Staff at Boondock Outdoors
Field Staff at Bees O'Brien Game Calls
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I caught my first 2 this year. I set in the channels above and below the dam. I was trapping swamps that had runs between the dams. I think I would have gotten more but the ice really put a damper on things.

I do want to warn you to be very careful. Especially if by yourself. I underestimated the dangers about a month ago. After catching the 2 and knowing there was more in the area, I fought the deep snow to go back to the swamps. Long story short I underestimated a lot of things that day.

I escaped with a torn rotator cuff. And thats exactly what I consider it. I was in subfreezing temps,wet, a hip boot stuck in the mud, and a mile from my vehicle.

I will error on the side of caution from here on out. Good Luck and safe travels

WHEN HUNTING THE LOWS ARE LOW AND THE HIGHS JUST AREN'T HIGH ENOUGH : LISIZNIE
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
The Man

I hope you're trapping moving water if you're not expecting any ice...

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If your trapping moving water- I hope your using death yachts!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglador Rtrvr
Find fresh sign-Death Yacht, dab o castor, sharpen knife! When it works man does it feel good!
death yacht gets them every time! funny thing is i havent even floated one this year. been honing my snaring skills.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

i like to use the bait stick and castor mounds on a drowning set. I am going this weekend and will set my two 330 for the first time. To be honest i am a little intimidated by a 330 but also have never set one before. my buddy has so we will see. Last year we hammered 10 beaver in two days and used 4 different lure. we didnt have any lure that was hit more than another. all bait sticks and castor mounds on drowning sets. I am pumped up to set tomorrow morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page