what would u do????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

what would u do?????

ok so a buddy of mine called his brother has a beaver problem. went out to set some traps and came across a dead beaver in a foothold trap froze in the ice. there was no tag on the cable ancoring the trap to a stump and the traps froze in the mud so not sure if its tagged or not. I called my buddy and he said no one asked to trap there. so I just left it up to them to handle it. I did find some fresh sign so I set 2 traps out well tagged under and over the ice. the beaver was there long enough that the hair was falling out of it. should I have called the pgc myself I also found a 330 that was laying on the bank with no tags on it. I didn't mess with anything other then just checked for name tags then left them were they sat. thank you for ur input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: what would u do?????

It's private property and the owner said nobody had permission to trap. I'd take those traps away, give them to the land owner, and let him see if someone eventually comes asking for them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM
The Man

Me, I wouldn't touch the traps. I'd definitely call the PGC however.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep, I'd contact the PGC. Trespassing and illegally set traps, I'd report it.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah, I'd also call the PGC on it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't touch someone else's traps (legally set or not). Even if only checking for a tag. Let's say someone sees you touch the trap, now if its not tagged then guess what! Its your trap. If the owner of the trap sees you then "your stealing" his trap or tampering with it which is also illegal. You are not allowed to take someone's trap by law unless its on your property. The land owner could take them and call PGC. Landowner already told you nobody should be there, you have found a violation of the law so call the PGC yourself.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

I would call the PGC because if an officer is checking beaver traps and he finds yours with the tags on and the other untagged trap he may just think that is yours as well.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man
It's private property and the owner said nobody had permission to trap. I'd take those traps away, give them to the land owner, and let him see if someone eventually comes asking for them.
Not legal either. The landowner can take the trap, but must turn them over to the PGC, not wait and see who comes knocking. Right or wrong in your opinion, it is the law.

Multiple things wrong there. The trap must be tagged above the water/ice and obviously the beaver not being removed. You should have called the PGC immediately, and should so now since you didn't. Don't matter if it is your property or not, you were legally there and saw something illegal. That makes it your obligation, not just the landowner's. Just like John said, if the PGC comes and sees your traps tagged there then he may very well assume these ones are yours too and now it becomes difficult to prove they weren't. I would call them immediately.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterknapp16
if the PGC comes and sees your traps tagged there then he may very well assume these ones are yours too and now it becomes difficult to prove they weren't.
The law says innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page