The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Cave Run Lake, Kentucky

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Rich 
#1 ·
All set up to go there in mid-April. I've got my ideas, but if anyone has fished it before & don't mind PMing me about their experience I'd love to hear them. Good or bad experiences appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I used to go to Minor Clark Hatchery just below the dam when I was in grad school. There was a little convenience store/bait shop called Crashes Landing. The owner was a musky guide and although seemed a little arrogant, could give some tips every once in a while. Definitely has lots of lures to choose from. Good luck!!

#4 ·
i went to a musky seminar crash mullins gave about cave run fishing, very informative. the guy does have bravado but hey if your boat a couple hundred muskies a year you can have some 'tude. however he did seem like a real down to earth guy. he stayed after the seminar and answered all may question and just talked for a while. looks like some decent gude rates too. early in the season his top bait is a big red rattle trap fished in the back of the bays. mid april, looks like a big tourney 4/16-17. good luck hopw to see some great pics when you get back.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Definitely have heard the same about the rattlebait bite and am prepared in that department. Grash Mullins is definitely one of the favorites down there, along with Greg Thomas and the other "locals." Unfortunately, they will probably not be interested in helping me that weekend! I hope to have some pics too, that will at least mean we had some success!

#8 ·
The rattletrap bite is on when the water temp hits 48 degrees and continues through about 54 degrees. Go to the heads of the feeder creeks and pound the banks. The fish hold tight on the mud flats. Rattletrap baits no bigger than 3/4 oz. Take orange baits. The theory why they are so good is that the advanced fingerlings are fed goldfish until they are released.

I also like twitching Cranes and Jakes. Scotts Creek, Buck Creek and Leatherwood should both be good at that time with fish moving up on Zilpo Flats near the end of the month. Take some Mantas, Grim Ripper Spinnerbaits and baby depth raiders as well. But predomoinate colors would be orange, and crappie colored baits. No steel leaders and contact the cover or you will never see a fish. Figure 8 is a must there, fish come from nowhere.

Scott Salchi would be my choice as a guide. He grew up on the lake and his step daughter Teri holds the current state record. She caught it when she was 14.

You are going to be driving by better fishing in my opinion but the Cave is the one with all the publicity.

I can be contacted at steadfastkennels@yahoo.com if you guys have any questions. - Scott

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.