The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Lets revisit this...

8K views 69 replies 31 participants last post by  SRA-5C+ 
#1 ·
I say FAKE what say you?

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
I don't believe it either and I'm very familiar with it. The measurers were never allowed to inspect the skull plate. I'm not a big fan of bashing other hunters or making accusations without facts, but there's enough information about this story that it just doesn't pass the smell test. For the record I've never met Mitch Rompolla but know many people who have and this is some of their opinions about the buck.

The buck is very real but the antler bases are farther apart than any other whitetail ever measured. Even other previous world records all measured nearly the same at the bases.

They believe the deer was lying on its right side when the back of the cape and cartilage were split to remove the original antlers, and that's what caused the blood to pool in the right ear.

Since the cartilage had to be split to swap out the rack it causes the right ear and eye to droop more because it couldn't be pulled up tight enough and sewn in its original position.

Claims to be a hunting recluse who shy's away from the public spotlight, but up until this buck he was being featured in magazines and videos.

Wouldn't have the buck x-rayed when offered $10,000 to do it.

Again, these are not my opinions but others who know him, or have seen the buck. My question for all bowhunters on HPA is...have you ever shot a deer and had its ear get saturated with blood? I wasn't certain so I went back through every animal I ever bow killed that I had field pictures of and not one of them had a bloody ear. Maybe it happens, I really don't know, does anyone have a picture of a deer they killed with a bow that had that much blood in its ear?

#8 ·
I had a conversation with the editor of North American Whitetail Magazine shortly after the buck was supposedly killed, and he unequivocally said it was a fake. I also co-hosted an outdoor radio show for two years with Michigan's Mike Avery (the state where the buck was supposedly killed) and he had previously interviewed Mitch and swore the buck was legit. That interview can still be found on YouTube. It doesn't add up to me and I believe its fake, but regardless he did kill the big bodied buck somewhere before attaching the rack.

#18 ·
I saw a video at some time ago, I'm sure its on youtube somewhere. Anyways it was actual footage of him recovering the buck. Yes it very well could have been staged, but it sure didn't look like it from what I saw. Now with that said, there are just so many factors involved that make this seem to be a fraud it just seems it has to be. I really do want to believe it to be legit. And I have a buddy that is from that part of Michigan and he swears it is legit. It may be one of those we always wonder about.

#21 ·
I personally believe it is real. Mitch was not a stupid guy and he was very familiar with the rigors and scrutiny the deer would receive, so it makes little sense that he would think he would be able to pass a fake off as real.

I believe he got so attacked so much, as many people did not like him, that he just decided screw you all and he went on with his life.

#23 ·
I personally believe it is real. Mitch was not a stupid guy and he was very familiar with the rigors and scrutiny the deer would receive, so it makes little sense that he would think he would be able to pass a fake off as real.

I believe he got so attacked so much, as many people did not like him, that he just decided screw you all and he went on with his life.

I remember all the controversy way back when. I remember it was quite a list of people that saw this buck after the kill. It was also scored by some well know folks and they all said it was legit. Now, everything else is suspect as NOBODY is talking. I doubt the truth will ever be known and I'm OK with that, lol.

#24 ·
if they attacked him because they didnt like him, what better way to shut them up than produce the deer for inspection, prove its real and say "In your face" right back to them.

i would push that in their face so far it would come out their backside. for that reason alone, i say FAKE !!

#26 ·
#27 ·
Wow...it's been around longer than I thought! 1998! I never was one to follow the score in the antler world. I think the only two bucks I can name would be the Hansen buck and Hole in the Horn buck. The latter being the only one I could recognize by sight, only because of the hole. I just never cared for naming bucks after those that killed them and assigning rock star status to those who did the killing.

The still photo looks like an obvious fake to me.

#36 ·
...I was suspicious because he's not smiling...so I didn't even notice the rack...

..but on a more serious not..I have seen other pics of bucks he shot in the "area" and they ALL seem to have the same LOW and WIDE characteristics...

Reactions: bohunr
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.