The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Camo Patterns

16K views 65 replies 41 participants last post by  25ftup 
#1 ·
Well after 12 years using the same archery scent blocker suit... it's time for a new one this 2020 season.

MY current pattern is Mossy Oak Break up..

I"m wondering what preference the majority of the users on here prefer the standard leaf or the military digital patterns for Pa. hardwoods hunting...

Thanks
NiceRack

#2 ·
I'm a frankencamo fan. Cabelas camo britches, first lite camo jacket and under armour camo gloves, w/ different cabelas camo boots. No way am I dropping over $500+ in one throw just to match for one system. I add pieces every year based on where I need upgrades and what I can find on sale. Nowadays if I'm in a treestand and not wearing bibs I top it all off with a leafy suit. Based on several experiences this years I've concluded it's much easier to win a stare down if you look like a tree.

#3 ·
If they ever came back out with that original Mossy Oak Treestand pattern I'd be in line to get some. For the most part, IMO standing still is more important than any given pattern.

Currently I have Realtree, Cabelas Outfitter, and some faded MossyOak Breakup. They all seem to work.

#6 ·
I have some Realtree Extra, Predator Fall Gray (favorite), Core4Element in Mountain Mimicry.... Buck I shot last year I was wearing my Core4 pants and Cabelas Dryplus pullover in Outfitter camo. This years buck, Realtree Extra pants, Mossy Oak Fall Foliage jacket. Yes, that jacket is 25 years old and looks close to new. I'm a firm believer in minimal movement and good cover.

#7 ·
I do try to pick camo that blends with the habitat I'll be hunting. Lighter for brush...darker for woods but since deer see shades of blacks and grays who knows what is best in any particular situation.

My son has been using a dark ghillie suit this year and I walked up on him a few times in the past few months. Even knowing where he was I could not pick him out until he moved. The ghillie suit breaks up the human outline. Breaking up the human outline and keeping movement to a minimum may be more important than any particular type camo.

Reactions: simoncool
#9 ·
They all work I usually select what I think will best match my days environment or back drop. However, I believe anything that helps break up one outline is a plus but don't necessary haft to be camo. Eventually the turkey have not passed on information to the next generations as my camo Tree Bark still works just fine. Took a lot of deer before camo made it's big splash on the market...

Remain still and do your best to decrease human odor is still the big plus.

Of course one can spent lots of $$ to obtain "Style points."

#13 ·
I bought some name brand stuff in ASAT only because it was discontinued and at a very good price. Believe it or not I think it works better than any of the stuff I’ve wore before. I’ve only used it for two seasons but I’ve had a few different occasions where deer see me move in the stand and instantly stare at me. I haven’t had one spook yet that hasn’t smelled me. I’ve actually stood up and moved around with them staring right at me and they go back to doing their thing. I had an encounter on the ground with a tree stand on my back where a group of doe walked right to me and eventually by me. They stopped and looked for a little bit but kept on going at were never really alerted. This may be coincidence or I’m trying to justify buying gear in the ugliest pattern ever. Either way I’ve been looking for more gear in this pattern. Spring turkey season I just wear whatever i have that’s treated in permethrin and is not soaking wet from the day before. I’ve had birds in range in my work dickies and green hoodie before.

#18 ·
I not really concerned with the camo pattern as much as I want it to functional for the time of the season I'm hunting. First it must wind proof, warm and comfortable. For mid to late season I wear First Lite Woodbury and Sanctuary in Fusion. Early season I have a plethora of camo I use, but my newer camo is Realtree.

#26 ·
Reactions: simoncool
#34 ·
Nat Gear is super nice fleece. Very dense and warm bibs and jackets. That said, my stuff is a mix of 50 years of hunting...... and none of it matches, but (sitting still) makes it work. Jim Crumley's Treebark was probably my favorite for bow hunting for many years. We used to go to the Harrisburg show just to buy it from Jim........!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.