BroadHead Debate - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:22 PM

I been shooting 4 blade muzzy 100 grains for the last 15 years or so. If I do my job, they do theirs. I used their little carbide sharpener and they are reliable and great performing broadhead. I have stuffed them through ribs and a couple shoulder blades and never had one break from it. They will not hold up to the roll-over test if you spine a deer though, lost 2 that way, busted arrows and all, I do not recommend spine shots with any broadhead, though, no good.
JJ4D likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Todd contact Ironwill, tell them who you are and what you are doing. Heads are 30.00 and are reported to be the best of the best..

Don't Gobble at me...
post #13 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:40 PM
dgc
Frequent Contributor

if you truly are looking for the ultimate broad heads look up solids,iron will, and bone broad heads
I shoot solids they smash elk shoulders at 35 yrds you will never break much heavier made than most store brands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:51 PM
dce
Sage

My son shot 4 mature deer this year with 100 gr viper tricks.They're a small 1 1/16 fixed blade cut on contact head with two tiny bleeder blades.I had him using them because he was shooting a 300+gr arrow at 240 fps.Two were double lungs that dropped within 40 yards.One was a 38 yard shot on a big doe that was quatering away.The BH entered the liver and exited the opposite lung.The deer went maybe 50 yards,laid down and was dead by the time we walked up to her.The last deer was a solid liver hit that ran 60 yards laid down in front of me.I had no way to finish it off so we came back in the morning and it was stiff as a board.Every shot was a pass through and three of those deer were shot with the same arrow and BH after I touched up the blades.No mechanical would have done any better.Here's a tiny exit wound.People put way more thought into the perfect BH than necessary.They need to be razor sharp,penetrate completely and stay together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191005_083906.jpg (828.7 KB, 19 views)
post #15 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:26 PM
The Man

Check out this guy on YouTube. He has tested many broadheads including the Ironwill. His info may save you some time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHw...yxvxcXSZN76pfg
post #16 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 PM

I shot over 100 with Slick Trick Magnums and Grizztricks great heads . I switched to the Swat Magnums for the bigger cut and will not be going back.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.
post #17 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I'll be putting many brands to the test not just those in the picture. The goal is not to crown a single head as the best per se, but to find a head that works the best in the majority of situations. You can pretty much get telephone poles with single bevel broadheads to fly from traditional equipment, and compounds can be easily tuned for proper broadhead flight. Crossbows are an entirely different animal because of their speed. What I'm trying to accomplish is to find a more than happy medium across all spectrums of bows that a fairly novice bowhunter can find manageable. And from that criteria I also want to find the head with best capable killing power if the shot goes wrong. Every arrow flys great with a field point, and every animal dies when it's double lunged. It's the other variables I want to bring into the equation that the less than average bowhunter can understand and take advantage of. Thanks to all for the feedback and please continue.
post #18 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:05 PM

I hope you include Wasp Drones. I really like them and would be interested to see how they rate against the others you test.
Goomstyle likes this.
post #19 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:10 PM
dce
Sage

If the shot goes wrong,the head that wins is the sharpest one that penetrates completely every time and stays together.The cutting diameter doesn't mean anything on a marginal hit because you can't increase the kill zone.Probably a couple dozen different heads would fit that description.
post #20 of 251 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

To achieve the best penetration, blood trails & quicker death is it better to have...

A) More cut damage within the cylinder of the broadhead.

B) A larger cutting diameter.

C) It's irrelevant.

Diagrams of 2-3-& 4 blade heads into a chest cavity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2blade (Small).jpg (87.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 3blade (Small).jpg (87.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 4blade (Small).jpg (87.6 KB, 29 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page