The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Opening Day of Gun

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SRA-5C+ 
#1 ·
Who's hunting with the archery equipment tomorrow. My plans have changed a little because of the expected East/North East winds and won't be able to hunt the spot I wanted, but put my climber on a tree yesterday in a thick bedding area that will work with tomorrows wind. Also put a bright eye on two other trees as a plan B and C if wind changes. I am also kicking around the idea of taking my bow and gun, something I've never done before and I'm assuming it's legal to do so. Bow will work out to about 20 yards and gun out to about 50 in this spot. I don't remember the last time I shot a deer with a rifle.

#2 ·
If I wasn`t sitting with my grandson on Sat. I would be in a stand with my Hoyt Compound, in fact Tue, Wed. and Thurs. I will have my bow, but I can still remember my last gun season deer....A Washington Co. 10pt back in 2010.....good luck Bone....

Reactions: Pa.Bone
#6 ·
I need to send my Remington 700 back to Remington because it went off shooting it yesterday when I tried to put the safety back on. I tried to shoot a round and it wouldn't fire, trigger would not move like the safety was on. I looked safety was off and I tried to put safety on, safety would not move. Stood up and laid gun on the bench and pulled hard back on safety and gun went off. Scared the crap out of me and the gun kicked back and hit my thigh. Gun seems fine today, but may take my 30-06 instead. I agree with taking the gun and having another option if a stud shows up.

#5 ·
Working tomorrow. Vacation burned for bow season.To your other points bone I may sit behind the house with the bow a couple nights strictly due to the convenience of hunting 3 minutes out the garage door. That spot happens to be archery only.

I’m a bowhunter at heart, and it’s 95% of my hunting time. Spending hours on end alone waiting to shoot a deer with a rifle doesn’t get my blood flowing that fast...HOWEVER, I greatly look forward to gun season as a time to get out with friends and family. I absolutely love setting my buddies up on stand in the better spots and doing some small pushes towards them before the walk out. Nothing like showing less experienced hunters a quality morning in the woods.

I also very much enjoy the annual drive day that I put on the last week. Nothing like getting the trucks loaded up, the Walkie talkies blaring, getting the group pumped up. It’s a great day to get people excited about deer hunting who don’t generally go out alone. Most of the day my gun stays in the truck until the group forces me to sit one.

#13 ·
I have been on stand Wed, Thursday and today. Yesterday even in the high winds the deer were moving. I will be out with 3 of my friends all bow hunting. Both spots in 5C and 5D do not allow gun hunting.

#14 · (Edited)
That problem with the Remington 700 goes back decades.
After a days hunt my buddy and met at his truck, he opened up the floor plate to unload the magazine then when he raised the bolt to unload the chamber the gun fired. (700BDL )
Luckily the muzzle was pointed down, scared the Crap out of both of us.
Ironically a few weeks later I saw a report on TV about Remington Mfg. and this ongoing problem with the model 700.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.