Hit one last Saturday need advice on whether to even bother with tracking dog - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hit one last Saturday need advice on whether to even bother with tracking dog

Shot what would probably be my best deer ever on Saturday. First one I have ever shot with a crossbow and between not being able to see the impact and the lack of hearing crash I was worried from the start. He ran like he had been hit good for the 100 yards I saw him.

I got down and checked the arrow. At first there seemed to be no evidence of hit. After a closer look there was a little sliver of blood further up the shaft as well as some liquidy brownish fluid. I left the arrow and waited an hour for a buddy to show up. There was decent blood and we took it for about 80 yards before I didn't feel comfortable anymore. We didn't even Crest the first ridge. Came back and grabbed the arrow and it seemed to have that dried guts slim on that shaft that I am familiar with from the other 1 or 2 I have gut shot. I am not sure this is 100% what that is but that's what I always associated it with.

At that point (i.e. 2 PM) we backed out until Sunday morning. My problem was I flew out for work at 2 PM Sunday. We tracked for about 150 to 200 yards to where I lost blood. I then grid searched for about 3 hours by myself with no luck but the area is pretty thick. I then left for my flight unfortunately. I have not thought of anything since.

I dont get back until Friday and I am trying to determine how to even approach as I have committed to a bear group on Saturday 3 counties away. I am at the moment planning on driving back Sunday to look. This is where the thought of a tracking dog came into play but I'm not sure if that would be even viable other than if the dog can smell rotting deer as the blood trail will be about a week old. That being said I'm not opposed to the idea but dont want to bother if others dont think it's worth the chance.

Any advice appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

I think at this point you did all you could do, if you hit him on Sat. and with a brown liquid on your bolt it was most likely a gut shot, he is probably laying dead somewhere and by Friday the coyotes will get to him and have a feast even if you come across his bones. I think you should just write that one off,sadly it happens to some of us at some point in time. Better Luck on your bear hunt. Thanks for sharing your story, most hunters would not even post about that on here, because of some of the negative comments they may receive and I respect your honesty for that......

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

You may be able to get a posse gathered up from here with a bit more info on location. I'm committed to hunting in NY this weekend but if I wasn't I'd come help look if it was near me. He is likely dead from your story, you will only be able to get closure from here on out if you try and look.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

He is probably dead and in that thick stuff. Is there any water sources around close? I would keep trying bc the chances of finding it are good as long as he wasnt pushed. The meat will be most likely gone due to predators but still can recover the head. Best of luck on finding it and on the bear hunt.

On a side note I know what you mean my not seeing the shot placement with a crossbow. Switch over to lighted nocks and it will help out with that tremendously.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHunter86 View Post
On a side note I know what you mean my not seeing the shot placement with a crossbow. Switch over to lighted nocks and it will help out with that tremendously.

IMHO, lighted nocks are the best thing to come into the archery world in a long, long time. It helps so much with regular archery gear that I'd imagine with the speed of a crossbow, you would almost "need" lighted nocks to have any idea where you hit the animal.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Crows and your nose are better than a tracking dog at this point.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in