Friday 11/15 6 point - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Friday 11/15 6 point

So on Thursday evening I watch a big 10point chasing doe in the thick briars 30yrds to my left. I was set up so the bedding area was to my left and a steep point to my right and i was over looking it all. That's all i seen from noon till dark on Thursday.

Friday morning i get in the stand around 530. As I'm sitting there not 5mins the deer start moving into the bedding area. I could see the silhouettes of them moving around in the moon light. Then one comes in making alot more noise then a normal deer walking. Its walking straight towards me then turns to my right and beds down on the lower side of the point. Daylight comes and I keep watching that side bc with the wind direction I figured it was a buck scent checking does in the bedding area. Well it got the best of me so I grunted. Sure enough I here the deer get up and it walks around the point. At that point I was hoping for the big guy but a basket 6pt comes around. As he rounds the point he fell over and then got up and turned broadside. That's when I seen his right rear back leg. His hoof was pointing the wrong direction and tou could notice the swelling on that leg. He wandered off to my left and got into the thick stuff. At this point he gave me no clean shots. As I watched him walk off I thought I need to try and get him to come back. So I grunted again. Then he grunted and came back in a hurry. With him not being able to put weight on that leg he kept bouncing he rear off trees. He got to 20yrds broadside. I grunted to stop him and took the shot. When he tried to turn and run he fell and rolled around trying to get up. Finally he gets to his feet and runs off bouncing off trees. He gets to about 50yrds out and just stops. I could see the blood when he got to his feet so I knew he wouldn't be going far. He stood the for about 30sec and started to wobble and then he fell over.

I texted the wife to let her know and then the fun began. I got out of the stand at 730. Then the hour hike back to the truck through the thick nasty stuff to shed clothes off, grab more water, and grab the dragging rope. Walked back in which is easier then out bc it's mostly down hill going in. Crawled on my hands and knees back into the briars where he went down and drug him out from there to field dress. Then drug him back to the truck. I didnt get to the truck till around 130. Then I walked back in to get my stand and hiked back out. Ran home and got him skinned and hung up. After that I had a drink and dinner and called it a night.

It was a long day. I think next yr he would of been a nice buck. His rack had potential but he lost the battle with a car. When I skinned him the whole right back leg was bruised and mushy. So I cut the leg off and found the femur shattered. Not sure if he would of made it to next yr but I decide to end his suffering.

Thanks for reading. 20141112_085253_1573999802609.jpg

20141112_085253_1573999802609.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141112_085246_1573999855013.jpg (2.56 MB, 115 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Good job! Congrats!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Nice one! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice buck congratulations
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:41 AM

congrats and nice story
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Congrats!!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Part of the Community

Nice work!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:59 AM
The Man

Congrats. You did the right thing. And there's no need to wait until next year. He's a nice buck now.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Congrats! Nice buck

3a/5c
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Congrats. You did the right thing. And there's no need to wait until next year. He's a nice buck now.
Thanks his def a nice buck this yr. I wonder what he would of looked like next yr tho. I have no complaints tho. It was a neat experience to watch an injured buck still pushing on trying to breed and responding to calls that much. I would of thought he wouldn't be too excited about it considering the injury

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page