Anyone in 1B looking for a spot? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Very nice offer you made to the forum. Congrats on your buck!!
bohunr and Lackawanna Fox like this.

Aim small miss small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Would like to see a follow up story to this if the lucky hunter is successful, nice gesture for sure RR!!
bohunr and Lackawanna Fox like this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Father and son had a pretty good hunt. Saw a spike, 4 point and 8 or 10 point along with 7 doe in about 2 hours. Young boy couldn't quite get a shot at any of the buck but seemed pretty enthusiastic about his evening. If they want to add anything it's up to them as I don't like giving out too much personal information.

I was excited just hearing how everything went and made me feel hunting season was still on. Better than just sitting here staring out my window.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Regular Visitor

I'll be glad to add, since I was the father and my 9 year old was the son!

We had a fantastic time, and thanks rroae for your incredible generosity and warm welcome!

It was a bit of a haul for us - 1.5 hours - but I love the opportunity to create great outdoor experiences for my two boys. The other is 16 and is away for the weekend, so he didn't get to make this trip with us. Like a lot of folks with kids, Saturdays can be busy, but after our obligations were over for the day, we hit the road and pulled in a bit after 3 and got a quick tour of the place, before setting into one of the stands we were given an opportunity to choose from.

Hunting with a 9 year old with a crossbow is a pretty challenging deal physically and keeping his interest up. It's been a long season for him. He shot a big old nanny doe on the first day, and since then, our deer sightings have been dwindling on the small property we hunt on the most, near home. Wasn't even sure he'd want to get back out for archery after our last 3 hunts not even seeing any deer, but some trail cam pics from rroae surely peaked his interest and desire. The first hour was very uneventful.

We got caught with our pants down when a spike walked within his 25 yard limit, and just couldn't get him a clean shot. I re-positioned him for a shot where the spike appeared, in case others were following, and sure enough some does and skippers came down the same trail. We were watching them, and trying not to move, when a 4 point came out to our left, where he had been set up. Missed that opportunity as well. Watched a big boy from a distance, and watched him walk away after a 5 or 10 minute stand still. He never even got close enough to begin to think about a shot, but my kid had his eyeballs glued on that buck like crazy! Biggest one he's ever seen in the woods while hunting in his two seasons so far.

From about 4:50 till it got dark, we were pretty much covered up in deer.

When we got home, he talked his mama's ear off, giving her the play by play of each deer and each group of deer we saw, and why he didn't get a shot. He talked about how great it was, and the "what if's" pretty much the whole way home.

Even though he didn't get a shot, it was awesome to see him have so much fun and excitement on a hunt again, and to know that he got a pounding heart and heavy breathing again for the first time in about 3 weeks.

Can't thank rroae enough for a great evening!

Last edited by DRod; 11-09-2019 at 10:30 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome!
bohunr likes this.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Part of the Community

This is great. What an opportunity from a generous member. Lots of good people out there in the world(just have to find them).
bohunr likes this.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch12 View Post
This is great. What an opportunity from a generous member. Lots of good people out there in the world(just have to find them).
Very, very true Lurch. Incredible generosity and a great man to share the opportunity with a young hunter and his dad, who were complete strangers until yesterday.

His generosity and kindness were a huge deposit in the hunting memory bank for my son, and gave him some thrilling moments he'll long remember and cherish.
bohunr likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:09 AM
The Man

Wow, a great hunt even though the boy didn't score! Big shout out to rrroae for making it possible! Great story as well; thanks DRod!
bohunr and DRod like this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 AM

It's a wonderful story and sounds like a great time. Success doesn't always have to end in a harvest.
Rrroae is awesome that way...KUDOS to him.
bohunr and DRod like this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Wow, a great hunt even though the boy didn't score! Big shout out to rrroae for making it possible! Great story as well; thanks DRod!
I’ll second that.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page