How much do you move in a stand? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How much do you move in a stand?

Hey everyone, I've only been hunting for the past 4 years, pretty much self taught from youtube and reading. I'm hunting my small 3 acre spot on a hillside, from a ladder stand.

I have my stand in a new position, as far back in my property as I can go, but unfortunately not at the top of the hill - it goes just a bit further so deer coming over the edge are pretty much at eye level with me at first - maybe 30 yards out. I was out on saturday for a full 12 hour sit (oof) and saw quite a bit of action, smaller bucks, bunch of doe moving around.

I look around a lot, especially the longer I sit I find myself twisting around to look behind my tree, trying to make sure nothing's coming up behind me. Well at around 1:30 I was looking around and suddenly noticed a really, really nice buck, over the top of the hill where it flattens out, around 60-70 yards away, just staring right. at. me. So I'm pretty sure he busted me turning my head, looking around.

I swear these things are forest ghosts. One minute there's nothing, the next they're standing there.

Anyway he didn't bolt or anything, just looked around a bit in different directions, I did a couple soft grunts while his head was turned, and then he basically turned a 180 and slowly walked the other way.

I'm almost positive he saw me moving, didn't spook necessarily but didn't feel comfortable heading in my direction any more.

So my question is, how much are you looking around? Do you turn your head a lot? Or just try to be a statue and look with your eyes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I very rarely move my body to look behind me...mostly because its too difficult to shoot in that direction anyway...question...do you wear anything to cover your face?...my stand is on a hill as well, and there are times when I am level with the ground higher up the hill...when I look side to side I keep my back and head against the tree, and only turn my head slowly as far as it will go...as far as other movement goes...again move slowly...don't just reach out for something...keep your hands and arms as close to your body as possible...if your not wearing gloves...try them...or something to take the shine away from the back of your hands...hope this helps...GOOD LUCK.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If your a minimum of 20 ft up, bottom of your stand to ground, you can get away with some slow movement usually. Other than that....busted. be sure you have tree between you and anticipated direction deer will come from. If you can find a tree that allows you to put the bottom of your stand up your a y the y will help hide you. Another great option is a tree against a pine so the pine hides you from the direction deer are traveling. You don't need to see them coming, once they pass you and you are behind them....whap....deer down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
I very rarely move my body to look behind me...mostly because its too difficult to shoot in that direction anyway...question...do you wear anything to cover your face?...my stand is on a hill as well, and there are times when I am level with the ground higher up the hill...when I look side to side I keep my back and head against the tree, and only turn my head slowly as far as it will go...as far as other movement goes...again move slowly...don't just reach out for something...keep your hands and arms as close to your body as possible...if your not wearing gloves...try them...or something to take the shine away from the back of your hands...hope this helps...GOOD LUCK.
Yes, in early season I have a lightweight mesh head cover/mask, in the cooler weather more of a fleece balaclava style that I can pull the mouth/nose section down if I want to drink some coffee or hit my grunt call. I also have different weight gloves for the same reason you mentioned. My ladder stand has a camo cloth wrap around it so the only thing sticking out is from my chest up.

I guess I just need to resist the urge to look around so much.
whil e kioti likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
If your a minimum of 20 ft up, bottom of your stand to ground, you can get away with some slow movement usually. Other than that....busted. be sure you have tree between you and anticipated direction deer will come from. If you can find a tree that allows you to put the bottom of your stand up your a y the y will help hide you. Another great option is a tree against a pine so the pine hides you from the direction deer are traveling. You don't need to see them coming, once they pass you and you are behind them....whap....deer down.
I do have some trees in front of me, one was very leafy but then... all the leaves fell off, haha. Now I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb up there. The stand has been in place since august or so, they dont seem to mind it from the trail cam pictures I've gathered. At least when it's unoccupied.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

sounds like your stand is at a bad position in relation to the hill. since you cant go up any further, you might be better to back off a touch so you're not in line eye-level with the top. since its a ladder stand they'll probably notice the change so you might just have to deal with it for this year and chalk it up to a learning lesson for next. while i've had deer bust me at every level over several decades, typically if you get above 20' on normal level ground you can get away with movement, but if you happen to be on a hill like you are, deer coming in above you seem to bust movement pretty well. moving down the hill 30 yards might give you time to spot them before they spot you since they'll have to actually come over the hill first.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 AM

I stand and sit throughout the day. I try to have a really great backdrop and I hunt really high. I’m sure I get busted by sight. Same as I’m sure I get winded.

Previously JJ5C
Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Part of the Community

Stop in the nearest bicycle shop. They make a small mirror that will clip on the frame of eyeglasses. Get a pair of decent shooting glasses and put it on them. Or mount a rear view mirror on your stand!
ruger300 likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
Hey everyone, I've only been hunting for the past 4 years, pretty much self taught from youtube and reading. I'm hunting my small 3 acre spot on a hillside, from a ladder stand.

I have my stand in a new position, as far back in my property as I can go, but unfortunately not at the top of the hill - it goes just a bit further so deer coming over the edge are pretty much at eye level with me at first - maybe 30 yards out. I was out on saturday for a full 12 hour sit (oof) and saw quite a bit of action, smaller bucks, bunch of doe moving around.

I look around a lot, especially the longer I sit I find myself twisting around to look behind my tree, trying to make sure nothing's coming up behind me. Well at around 1:30 I was looking around and suddenly noticed a really, really nice buck, over the top of the hill where it flattens out, around 60-70 yards away, just staring right. at. me. So I'm pretty sure he busted me turning my head, looking around.

I swear these things are forest ghosts. One minute there's nothing, the next they're standing there.

Anyway he didn't bolt or anything, just looked around a bit in different directions, I did a couple soft grunts while his head was turned, and then he basically turned a 180 and slowly walked the other way.

I'm almost positive he saw me moving, didn't spook necessarily but didn't feel comfortable heading in my direction any more.

So my question is, how much are you looking around? Do you turn your head a lot? Or just try to be a statue and look with your eyes?

It would be pretty hard to shoot behind the tree your ladder stand is on so why look behind it? Why make movement that will probably do more harm than good. You can see left and right by slowly moving your head, no sense seeing what you can't shoot, the deer you are spooking just might come to the front if they aren't spooked.
whil e kioti likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think being silhouetted is the the worst thing with being caught visually. I usually try to climb a tree among a group of trees and I am rarely much over 15'-18' up, sometimes less. I very rarely get caught when I have a good backdrop, even at low elevations. I have a hang on and there is a ladder stand at the farm I hunt and neither is particularly well concealed. I get picked out more frequently in these stands. I started wearing a leafy suit this year too, with facemask, and I haven't lost a stare down yet. I've always been pretty good in those situations, but I feel like the staredowns are resolved quicker and I've had good luck fooling them while hunting on the ground in a grassy draw. I don't know if it's the added texture or what but I don't hunt without it anymore.
LONZO likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in