First Arrow in a Deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

First Arrow in a Deer

Tonight I went to a somewhat new spot for me. I hunted it two days ago on the ground and the deer saw me before I saw them and snorted away. They kept circling so I just sat tight and let them on their way. Tonight, I went to the same spot, but with a climber. I found a good spot and waited. At about 5:35pm, I spotted a doe walking through the corn towards me. I got my arrow ready and waited for it to come into range. At about 30 yards I drew my bow back and let it fly. The deer flinched and I heard a loud smack. The deer took off into the corn and stopped. I waited about 15 minutes and then saw it about 75 yards away walk into the same woods I was in. Another half hour and I started down the stand. My arrow went clean through. When I got to the arrow, my heart sank.

I found white hair all over the ground. There was still blood, but it was spotted. I knew I would end up pursing it. So i left and went to the nearby town and got a bigger flashlight and some pipe cleaners so i could mark where I found the blood. So, when it was about 3 hours since the shot, I came back and started tracking. I found spotted blood with about golf ball sized spots every 10 yards or so. Once I got to the part of the woods it went in at the blood stopped except for dime sized spots. However, there were a few spots that were baseball sized spots. I tracked it for about an hour, at times spending 5 minutes looking for the next spot, before I decided to call it for the night.

Is there anything I can do to help find the deer in the morning? There was a bunch of green briar that It couldve gone in but it doesnt seem to have gone that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191019_200832.jpg (1.11 MB, 101 views)

Last edited by kwing1; 10-19-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:44 PM

Just a guess.....the smacking noise was the arrow hitting a big bone. Id say not the shoulder though, as you had a clean pass through and recovered the arrow. Arrow may have hit high in the front leg ( may have broke leg bone ), white hair came from the backside of that leg. I doubt that youll recover it and suspect deer will recover from the wound.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Just a guess.....the smacking noise was the arrow hitting a big bone. Id say not the shoulder though, as you had a clean pass through and recovered the arrow. Arrow may have hit high in the front leg ( may have broke leg bone ), white hair came from the backside of that leg. I doubt that youll recover it and suspect deer will recover from the wound.
I forgot but I took a picture of my arrow. I think it may have been a little too far back. You cant see it but there was some green with it. So im thinking it may have been a liver shot and it hit the gallbladder with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191019_231026.jpg (721.7 KB, 73 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Part of the Community

Grab some friends and go scour the woods tomorrow. Continue to look where you last found blood then look in nearby green brier and creek bottoms. They normally will not go up hill when hit.
If you find nothing after that, develop a grid system and start walking the grid out.

Best of luck, never a good feeling but put your time in looking and maybe it will turn up. Seems like a decent amount of blood.

What kind of broad heads are shooting?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 AM

Not sure what you hit, but wasnt the gall bladder. Deer dont have them.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch12 View Post
What kind of broad heads are shooting?
Im using Ramcat 100 grain. My friends have said they are pretty good. Hopefully I find her tomorrow to see where exactly I hit her.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:59 AM

White hair and green stuff on arrow to me indicates a hit that caught some guts and exited through the belly.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:34 AM
New Arrival

It seems like a fairly good blood trail despite how it petered out. The arrow looks like you may have hit guts and that would also explain the behavior of the deer. The blood is bright red so that might indicate a lung shot too, which is fatal. Check for bubbles in the blood. If you find bubbles, that is a tell-tale sign that you hit lungs. It could also have been a single lung shot and guts. You might have just nipped the lungs. Also look at pictures of deer to see where the white is on their body. I'm guessing that you shot low and a bit far back. I am sure the deer has expired by now. Grab a few buddies and keep on searching! I think you'll find her.
Good luck!

Edit: if you smell the arrow, it so helped to determine where you hit. A gut shot will be pretty pungent and nasty. Vitals will smell meatier.

Last edited by Crooked-Shooter; 10-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 AM

I agree with huntinlandscaper and Crooked-shooter. The appearence of the arrow with the green matter mixed on the bood is gut hit, very little question. The bloodtrail as you described it is a stop and go, since there doesn't look like any splatter to indicate direction it's standing for a bit every so often, but it will bed down if not pushed. Once it seems like it's lost, it's dissoriented and you're getting close.

If you have some water downhill from the hitsite it might be a good place for the circling grid search if the bloodtrail/scuffed up leaves disappear. I, too, think it is recoverable.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To me it looks like your arrow passed through low in the brisket. That explains the hair and fat on the arrow with not much blood, most likely from muscle.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page