Overlapping Seasons Tactics - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Overlapping Seasons Tactics

Well the muzzleloader deer and bear season is upon us and for those who hunt public land with decent pressure things are about to change. No “honey hole” or “special spot” will be immune. Some areas will be spared and others will get hammered.
Before I go any further this isn’t a thread to bash those who participate in it. Nothing but respect for those who partake and I totally get why some enjoy it. Actually looking forward to see how the bear season plays out myself.
With that being said it is another added challenge to archery hunters who rely on low impact hunting and trying not to educate deer. I am actually pretty concerned what’s going to happen on the mountain I hunt when the dust settles. There is definitely potential to have the deer holed up just like rifle season. Actually thinking about not heading up there until it’s over because if there are a lot of guys I may lose my enthusiasm to hunt it. Kind of a out of site out of mind approach.
Anyhow we discuss all sorts of tactics when it comes to archery hunting but I don’t often see much discussion on how the overlapping seasons alter strategy.
Are you concerned what kind of impact the new bear season will have in your hunting area ?
What happens to your area when the muzzleloader deer season starts ? Do you make any adjustments ?
We talk about different phases of the rut and weather when it comes to deer movement but in my mind there is no greater factor than the overlapping seasons if you hunt moderately pressured public land. That’s when a huge separation between hunting lightly pressured public or private land and more moderately to high pressure public land occurs .
In regards to my tactics I am going to have to take it to another level in regards to scouting. Going to go out Sunday and plan on covering at least 6 miles looking for fresh sign and trying to find areas that I feel won’t be that attractive to bear hunters. I can’t sit back and hope that my “honey holes” will be left alone and not driven out or walked through during that week.
So what are some of your thoughts ? Am I the only one who has to adapt to the overlapping seasons and feel its a major thing to take into consideration ? How do you overcome the added challenge on public land ?
Thanks
bohunr, JJ4D and Woods walker like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 10-18-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Well the muzzleloader deer and bear season is upon us and for those who hunt public land with decent pressure things are about to change. No “honey hole” or “special spot” will be immune. Some areas will be spared and others will get hammered.
Before I go any further this isn’t a thread to bash those who participate in it. Nothing but respect for those who partake and I totally get why some enjoy it. Actually looking forward to see how the bear season plays out myself.
With that being said it is another added challenge to archery hunters who rely on low impact hunting and trying not to educate deer. I am actually pretty concerned what’s going to happen on the mountain I hunt when the dust settles. There is definitely potential to have the deer holed up just like rifle season. Actually thinking about not heading up there until it’s over because if there are a lot of guys I may lose my enthusiasm to hunt it. Kind of a out of site out of mind approach.
Anyhow we discuss all sorts of tactics when it comes to archery hunting but I don’t often see much discussion on how the overlapping seasons alter strategy.
Are you concerned what kind of impact the new bear season will have in your hunting area ?
What happens to your area when the muzzleloader deer season starts ? Do you make any adjustments ?
We talk about different phases of the rut and weather when it comes to deer movement but in my mind there is no greater factor than the overlapping seasons if you hunt moderately pressured public land. That’s when a huge separation between hunting lightly pressured public or private land and more moderately to high pressure public land occurs .
In regards to my tactics I am going to have to take it to another level in regards to scouting. Going to go out Sunday and plan on covering at least 6 miles looking for fresh sign and trying to find areas that I feel won’t be that attractive to bear hunters. I can’t sit back and hope that my “honey holes” will be left alone and not driven out or walked through during that week.
So what are some of your thoughts ? Am I the only one who has to adapt to the overlapping seasons and feel its a major thing to take into consideration ? How do you overcome the added challenge on public land ?
Thanks
Its going to be interesting for sure. The antlerless season was a challenge in itself, but not too many people were poking around every laurel patch lookibg for a doe. I feel like there is going to be a lot of pressure with this bear season, im just hoping that there is enoigh time that things get somewhat back to normal by the time they start cruising.

For tomorrow I have a spot I feel like they use when they get significant pressure, but its also laurel so who knows. I'll try it and see what happens.
bohunr and steelhead125 like this.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the response Buckshot. I would be lying if I didn’t openly admit that I am a little disappointed in the lack of interest in this thread. In my opinion I just think the overlapping seasons are a huge factor when it comes to deer behavior and play a big role in regards to tactics for public land hunters when it comes to archery hunting. Kind of amazed that a thread asking about if you wear gloves or not would receive so much more interest. Not that it isn’t a valid question and I am glad when someone is willing to start their own thread but at the same time it seems so far down the scale when you compare it to hunting pressure.
bohunr likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 PM

treat it like opening day of rifle. get in early with your bow in the hopes that the others will move that big buck right to you. if they push a bigbear past you, do it again next week in the hopes they push the same big bruin past you during archery bear season.

go get em...best of luck to everyone.
steelhead125 and blackpowder like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Wait and see kinda deal for me. Muzzy deer had always been pretty uneventful. If the bear hunters drive, its for sure going to take a week or two for things to get back to normal in the laurel. The guys that swear by that halloween week for rutcation stand to find things pretty screwed up. After that the rut will take over and they'll pretty quickly get back to normal. Even after rifle it only takes a week or two.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 10-18-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Regular Visitor

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to wear for orange!

I read the book and I'm still confused.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I’ll be out with my bow in the morning but where I’ll be the new bear season is a non factor. The bear numbers are so low it’d be like finding a needle in a haystack, (one will probably run by now). Hardly anyone uses a inline on the propert I hunt too. Now come Thursday may be a little different but nowhere near like rifle season.

I’m a little skeptical that most guys will treat this early bear season like the later. Not sure the big drives will be put on and such. Regardless there’s going to be a increase in woods disturbance and time will tell how much.

Looks like an east wind too.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was just thinking tonight as I watched 6 bucks chase a group of does around a cut cornfield........."Whelp, it will be a while until I get to see that again."
The silence and solitude of my favorite time of the year is gone with tonight's perfect NW wind.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 PM

I am excited and disappointed at the same time. To many seasons coming in all at once and it might screw up archery for a few weeks with the extra foot traffic with bear and doe muzzy and next week for seniors and youth being able to use rifles for both game animals. I love the opportunity of hunting bear early with an inline but i am not a fan that the deer will be disturbed so early in the season. See how it goes. i will be out on some oak flats where i was getting lots of bear pics before archery started. I just hope there are not gangs of guys out putting on drives . Then again it might help me if something gets pushed to me. There was a line of guys at the local sporting goods shop where i live all buying bear tags. The guy at the counter said he has never seen so many people buying bear tags like this year. This is just a little store in the country.

4B
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:05 AM

Next year I will go to Ohio or stay home the first Saturday of this crap.I hunt all state land and yesterday morning was a waste of time for tying to kill a mature buck.JMO
bohunr and pchunter1231 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page