Overlapping Seasons Tactics - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
Next year I will go to Ohio or stay home the first Saturday of this crap.I hunt all state land and yesterday morning was a waste of time for tying to kill a mature buck.JMO
If there were a lot of hunters where you were at, next Thurs, Fri, and Saturday is going to be worse when kids and seniors are out toting rifles for deer and bear plus the muzzy hunters.
bohunr likes this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I went out yesterday morning and got to the place I park (not a parking lot) and there were 5 cars there and all had FO on except one guy ! I decided to just pull my cameras and head home ! I did talk to the other archery hunter and he wasn't happy with all the intrusion in the area ! Said he has been trying to pattern this buck all season and now that's all gone !
I went out last night to where I've been seeing bucks every night and there were 2 guys walking the clearcut but I didn't have enough time to go to another spot so I climbed the tree and waited. I saw a doe and fawn but none of the bucks showed up ! I also had 3 trucks drive out and turn around at the spot. I probably won't hunt until the senior/youth season is over ! I probably won't see any buck movement during daylight until the rut !
I don't know why they can't have the ML deer/bear/ youth/senior season the week between the end of archery and the week of rifle bear season !
Seems like everything comes in the best time of Archery and us dedicated to hunting mature bucks take all the big hits ! I hope people don't take this the wrong way (I know some will) But archery is meant to be a low impact season and year after year it gets something to add more pressure to the game we're chasing !
When using archery for me its about getting close and being picky as to the deer you take ! In the past couple weeks I have seen several different bucks that I could have taken with a crossbow with a scope but with a vertical bow I didn't have enough light for my pins and let them walk or they were out to far for me to take a comfortable shot with my bow but with a crossbow I could have shot any of them ! Don't take that the wrong way as I'm not talking about shooting long distances !

Don't need to hear any bashing just speaking my mind !
bohunr likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
If there were a lot of hunters where you were at, next Thurs, Fri, and Saturday is going to be worse when kids and seniors are out toting rifles for deer and bear plus the muzzy hunters.
I will be hunting Ohio next weekend.
bohunr and pchunter1231 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

One thing I will say is back in the 90ís and very early 2000ís small game was much more popular so I frequently ran into squirrel and rabbit hunters. When the popularity of small game started to decline things were quite calm out there for a while. Then they added the inline doe season and youth and senior rifle season and it started to get a little more crowded again. Crossbow inclusion even more so and now bear. Not sure there is a whole lot left to include unless they start extending seasons. Itís definitely not easy. You just got to keep grinding. Even. With the crowded game lands of the 90ís I still managed to get on deer in spite of some frustrating days here and there.
bohunr likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

steelhead you forgot to mention all of the mountain runs that they have nowadays to ! In my area they had 2, one was the first weekend of archery and the second was the second weekend ! There would be people practicing for the run all year as long as there wasn't any snow ! I would get people on my cams almost every week ! Now they moved the one to the spring which is awesome but there is one thing I don't understand, The one guy was out cutting the the trail in with a weed eater the day before archery season started ! That kinda urks me as they trim out the trails with chainsaw weed eater and pruners for people to run on but I can't prune a small limb off to hang my bow ! Good luck the rest of the season !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Went out scouting today. My phone said I walked close to 9 miles and I am feeling it tonight. Didn’t really see too much to get excited about as far as big buck sign but I found pockets with heavy deer traffic. Figure the bucks will be putting down more sign up there starting this week. Didn’t see much evidence of other hunters at all which surprised me. Didn’t see any boot tracks, tree stands or litter the entire time I was out there. One section I was in had rocks turned over every 30 yards or so along one of the trails so it looks like a bear game through there recently. Found myself in a unique situation when I got back to my truck. Just as I was getting ready to hop over the gate a man and his wife pulled up in a all terrain vehicle. Turned out to be a game warden. I had my shotgun on me today which I am sure sent up red flags for him. Basically I decided to carry it today in case I crossed paths with a coyote and for protection because last year I got bluffed charged by a bear back there. Anyhow he asked me what I was hunting for before he mentioned he was a game warden and that’s exactly what I told him. So anyhow he and his wife proceeded to tell me I have nothing to worry about regarding Pa bears which I agree but if ones going to run up to me and stand there 30 yards away huffing I would prefer to have a gun. Showed him my license after that conversation and then we got into a discussion about rattlesnakes. Told him where all I walked today and asked him about a “restricted area” sign that was just put up recently in one particular location. It just so happens that the areas is a rattlesnake gestation area which makes sense because I ran into one there last year. Guess guys were poaching them a few years ago so they have restricted signs up now. I walked through there dozens of times over the years (before the signs) without a clue it was a rattlesnake hotbed. Anyhow they did catch the poachers. So other than the awkwardness of me walking around with camo and a shotgun on Sunday we had a nice conversation and they were really nice people. Vacation starts tomorrow so I will be hunting all day.
bohunr likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 10-20-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Steelhead, did what you said you were going to do. Put the walking shoes on and went looking
for some fresh sign. Made sure I was back in a ways to where most seniors ( I am one ) or young folk
wouldn't venture. Found a spot with fresh buck sign in an oak stand with laurel. Even found a tree in a
nice terrain funnel I'll be in opening day rifle if archery doesn't end the way I plan it to. Good luck.
bohunr and steelhead125 like this.

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchman View Post
Steelhead, did what you said you were going to do. Put the walking shoes on and went looking
for some fresh sign. Made sure I was back in a ways to where most seniors ( I am one ) or young folk
wouldn't venture. Found a spot with fresh buck sign in an oak stand with laurel. Even found a tree in a
nice terrain funnel I'll be in opening day rifle if archery doesn't end the way I plan it to. Good luck.
Nice man ! Good luck !
bohunr likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I really wanted to go back to a hot spot where I saw a big one last Monday but due to the start of mzl season was unsure of pressure there so I hunted my more remote stand location all day Saturday with no deer sightings.I had hoped just like last year if there were some mzl hunters around below they might send the big boys my way.Last year was the same results.It was dead as far as mzl shots .Only heard one.
bohunr likes this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

On a high pressure day (Saturdays) on public land I look for hard access, thicker cover or bedding areas I have seen deer continue to use when there are more hunters in the woods. In fact, on public land, I do this on a regular Saturday of bow season. Even though its just bow hunters, (10) guys on a Saturday compared to one or two during the week makes a big difference. However, I will say this as well, just (1) other hunter can make a difference. If that hunter is consistently hunting the same buck/deer sign as you then the pressure is pretty high on that particular location.

IMHO, public land deer are pressured ALL the time in my area and I treat it that way. I never know for sure who's poking around the area I'm hunting when I'm not there. If I do know for sure someone else is hunting a particular area (buck) I'm also after, instead of picking up stakes and moving on I try to use different tactics. If they hunt on a Saturday, I try to hunt during the week. If they hunt mornings, I try afternoons, if they hunt until 10am, I stay and hunt through lunch, If they hunt the ridge line, I hunt the side or the thicket down wind of where they hunt. These opposite tactics are the ones hunters refer to when they say "Don't let the buck know he's being hunted." He already knows he's being hunted, unless its his first rodeo, but he may not know you are hunting him at that very moment and that makes a difference.

One thing I don't believe is a buck or deer in general will completely leave the area. If its that good, has what they need, they will continue using that area. The rubs and other deer sign will confirm that for you.

So, to answer the question, yes, overlapping seasons or other highly intrusive hunting pressure will alter deer movement temporarily. Temporarily could be a day, couple days or a week if they are continually harassed. But, with the rut just getting started, one hot doe will trump whatever else is going on and its a matter of right place right time. Ever see a hot doe trailed by bucks on the first day of rifle season? It didn't matter much to the buck that the woods were crawling with hunters. Overall, I think this time of year there is minimal overall effect. I believe once rifle bear season and deer rifle pre-hunt scouting kicks in, it definitely changes where the deer hole up and when they move.
steelhead125 likes this.

Good Luck & Shoot Straight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page