Gustober 17 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gustober 17

Anyone up for a carnival ride this afternoon? I’m not surprised there are no threads for yesterday or today. However, I’ve got a window for this afternoon, and can’t get out again till the 24th. Thinking about going for it, I’ve got a fixed stand in a 2’ diameter big solid oak.... banking on things calming down a touch just before dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:59 PM

I was thinking about it for this afternoon until my youngest son got the flu this morning. I actually like it when its this windy. Just as good as a light misty day. I have taken a few deer in archery on days such as this just still hunting and spot and stalk. Good luck if you head out. Watch for widow makers.

4B
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Got the kids from the bus stop about 15 minutes ago....
Even if I could go out this evening, NOPE.
Wind was hauling butt non-stop, with some gusts probably over 45MPH tossed in for good measure.
Kicker is I saw 3 deer way across the cornfield across the street, ~600 yards out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
I was thinking about it for this afternoon until my youngest son got the flu this morning. I actually like it when its this windy. Just as good as a light misty day. I have taken a few deer in archery on days such as this just still hunting and spot and stalk. Good luck if you head out. Watch for widow makers.
The wind has been 15 to 25 all day and gusting to 50. I stayed home. I have to get out to my stand and check the trail to make sure there are no branches or trees across it so I can't run my ATV on it on Sat. Still supposed to be wind tomorrow 14 mph til evening..

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-17-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Part of the Community

I went to a spot that fits the prevailing winds “ok”. It’s a spot I’ll only hunt till pheasant comes in because after that it gets over run with the bird crowd. I got a couple pictures of a good buck in here early September, but today’s hunt is all about the doe.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Sage

I don't mind missing a few days because of the wind. I really have no choice. Last Thursday afternoon I was bitten by a spider that crawled into my sweat pants on the inside of my left thigh and I had a bad infection with a red spot as big as a saucer and a lump as big as an egg. Monday I went to my Doc who put me on two week of Doxycillion. It is doing much better now, the lump is gone and most of the redness as well and I am planing to get out to hunt Saturday.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 PM
The Man

I still hunted/scouted for a bit this morning to where I could see some bedding. I saw a real good one heading back to bed down, I snuck out quietly. I'm set back up in the area now on the ground for this evening.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

On the ground tonight really just glassing. This wind is brutal.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Happy I got out, it’s windy but I’ve sat in worse good luck anyone out this last hour here
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunted yesterday afternoon in spitting rain and 25 mph winds and took a beating and never saw a deer. I decided to take the day off but regretting it because it looks like the wind died down a little at prime time.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page