Single lung hit deer... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Single lung hit deer...

It always amazes me that a whitetail can travel so far or get away all together when you only get one lung. I just donít get how any creature can survive when a modern broadhead cuts through one of their lungs, and they cannot call 911 and get driven to a trauma center.

Last week a good friend of mine shot a doe at about 20 yards. According to him he hit her a bit high and foreword. We waited about 4 hours and and started the track, and the first 50-60 yards lots of good bright red blood with bubbles being SPRAYED. After the first 60-65 yards the blood trail went to pin drops feet apart. Then she opened back up to easy tracking. Then she dried up again and went into a brushy area. I told my friend let her go and come back in the AM she might be dead in that thicket somewhere. So we left it. I had to work, so he went back alone. Said she dried up totally after another 40-50 yards and she never laid down. This AM I was finally off again, and I thought Iím going back in there and see if I can find her even though the meat is way past being edible. I searched high and low and not a trace of a dead deer. The wind is blowing fairly good so I got way down wind of where I thought sheíd be and tried to catch a whiff of decomp. Nothing! I almost believe she is still alive and healing up. I wasnít there to observe the shot but my friend is experienced and knows what heís looking at most of the time. So, I believe he hit her pretty close to what he said.

I just donít understand how they do it! This isnít the first time Iíve seen a single lunged deer not be recovered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Join the club. I've tracked quite a few for others that were one lunged, many of which we recovered, and some that were not. Maybe the new law allowing a leashed dog to track wounded deer will aid in the recovery rate.

That's why we call it hunting, not killing.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I one lunged a small doe many years ago one evening bow hunting. I couldn't find a lot of evidence that night so went back the next day, and after resorting to a grid search, I located her hundreds of yards from where I shot at the bottom of a steep valley. She looked at me, ran up almost a cliff, and then collapsed. I believe I finished her off with a knife but she didn't have much life left. The spot where I first jumped her to where she collapsed running up the hill was pink frothy lung blood. I'll never forget that.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Single lung hit has gotta be bowhunting’s worst shot. Simply because it’s generally a total crap shoot. Blood looks good usually which lulls you into a false sense of security to keep tracking. By the time you realize somethings not right, you’re lucky you didn’t jump the deer before backing out.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna_ View Post
Single lung hit has gotta be bowhunting’s worst shot. Simply because it’s generally a total crap shoot. Blood looks good usually which lulls you into a false sense of security to keep tracking. By the time you realize somethings not right, you’re lucky you didn’t jump the deer before backing out.
Been there done that and agree 100% Arrow and blood trail usually look great, then all of a sudden, nothing.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna_ View Post
Single lung hit has gotta be bowhuntingís worst shot. Simply because itís generally a total crap shoot. Blood looks good usually which lulls you into a false sense of security to keep tracking. By the time you realize somethings not right, youíre lucky you didnít jump the deer before backing out.
I agree fully as well. I just donít understand how they do it. Maybe because when only 1 lung is hit itís usually not a solid single lung but itís clipped. Still donít get it though.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 PM

I read a study a few years back that claimed a high % of single lung hit deer actually survive. Also, if all the blood was bright red and not pinkish and foamy the lungs weren't hit, just muscle.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Regular Visitor

had my first single lung experience last year with a buck. It's amazing how strong they are and ability to survive.

included a pic of what looked like great blood. was lighter in color and had more bubbles when I initially found it. the pic was taken when I took up the trail again a few hours later after I believe I bumped him initially.

Had good blood for a while and tracked for 500 yards that eventually went down to single drops every 5 to 10 yards and then nothing. Around every corner I was sure I was gonna see him laying there dead A rain storm then moved in. I spent the next two days grid searching the entire area and put on miles looking, but nothing.

Learned my lesson the hard way. will always wait longer to take up the trail next time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lung pic.JPG (1.69 MB, 41 views)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Part of the Community

That looks like muscle hit not lung. Lung normally pinker and think foamy. Deer blood can get bubbles from different things as a deer bleeds. Human can also survive with one lung so can animals
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I believe this to be a single lung hit. Tracked a long ways tonight. Easy to follow blood trail. Heading back in morning. Backed out on good blood so time will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41D35419-E84E-4EA7-A11C-4CCA505D1E06_1571453800839.jpg (816.3 KB, 28 views)

It's not luck if success is consistent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page