The years to come! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The years to come!

As archery season approached this year I was excited but also a bit nervous. This is the time of year I live for, and I now have an 11 month old son in the house. I knew my days in the woods would be shortened but I had to make the best of them. As the season approached my son and I ran trail cameras for the first time. I always had one in my back yard to see what was around the house but never out on the farm that I hunt. I would pull the cards every 2 weeks and always took him with me. At one point my mother in law asked me what all these green triangle briers were in her grandsons car seat. Oops, didn’t notice they were on him too! We went out a few evenings and put a few miles on looking for sign and trails. Wasn’t able to take him to hang stands with me and my wife was not happy that I hung the stands by myself.
I hunted opening day in the evening and didn’t see a deer. Again I knew my time would be limited in the woods, so I thought I would wait to hunt again until the rut began to hit, And spent those days in the woods away from my main man.

Well I had the opportunity to slip out Saturday evening into the stand. As I sat there not seeing anything I began to think I should be at home spending time with my son and not in the tree stand. I guess it was a guilty feeling.

After a few call sequences I began to hear some rustling that wasn’t Those pesty tree rats. Within minutes I see horns and he steps out into the field. I was already at full draw and knew the left side was decent and a legal buck. I let the arrow fly and knew it was a solid hit.

My friend and I ended up tracking the deer (following the blood river) to find the buck 60 yards away.

My father came and we drug it out and to home I went. My wife said she was going to keep up my son so we could get a picture together. I got home and he was already a sleep, so I hung the deer in a tree and waited till the morning to show my son his first deer.

The next morning after he woke up we went outside to get a picture. He immediately grabbed his horns and got a smile on his face. It made me think about the years ahead when we can go hunting as a family and watch him harvest his first deer.
I took the deer to my parents to skin him out and get him in the cooler, my wife sent me the picture of us. As I opened it I got tears in my eyes and just can’t wait to take him on his first hunt, hoping he enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.
My season was short, and now I gotta wait till rifle to get my wife back in the stand, she missed last year due to the birth of our child.

It’s not the biggest buck, but it sure is a special one for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A663DE2-D33C-43F1-B927-6E62B3A5CAF9_1571266723733.jpg (1.35 MB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 2FD456A7-3086-46A3-8643-6FE66776C4CD_1571266748603.jpg (1.00 MB, 89 views)
irishiup, bohunr, AndyT and 14 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 PM

congrats on your nice buck and a great story. cute kid as well
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's great. They grow fast. Best times are yet to come. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats. Enjoy those years...they go fast.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the buck and great memories with your son

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Congrats on the buck
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Congrats!!! As others stated, time flies. He’ll be hunting before you know it and you’ll wonder where the years went.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great. It's never the size of the kill but the size of the hunt. Nice
lynxone likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Part of the Community

Great pic. Awesome buck!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch12 View Post
As archery season approached this year I was excited but also a bit nervous. This is the time of year I live for, and I now have an 11 month old son in the house. I knew my days in the woods would be shortened but I had to make the best of them. As the season approached my son and I ran trail cameras for the first time. I always had one in my back yard to see what was around the house but never out on the farm that I hunt. I would pull the cards every 2 weeks and always took him with me. At one point my mother in law asked me what all these green triangle briers were in her grandsons car seat. Oops, didnít notice they were on him too! We went out a few evenings and put a few miles on looking for sign and trails. Wasnít able to take him to hang stands with me and my wife was not happy that I hung the stands by myself.
I hunted opening day in the evening and didnít see a deer. Again I knew my time would be limited in the woods, so I thought I would wait to hunt again until the rut began to hit, And spent those days in the woods away from my main man.

Well I had the opportunity to slip out Saturday evening into the stand. As I sat there not seeing anything I began to think I should be at home spending time with my son and not in the tree stand. I guess it was a guilty feeling.

After a few call sequences I began to hear some rustling that wasnít Those pesty tree rats. Within minutes I see horns and he steps out into the field. I was already at full draw and knew the left side was decent and a legal buck. I let the arrow fly and knew it was a solid hit.

My friend and I ended up tracking the deer (following the blood river) to find the buck 60 yards away.

My father came and we drug it out and to home I went. My wife said she was going to keep up my son so we could get a picture together. I got home and he was already a sleep, so I hung the deer in a tree and waited till the morning to show my son his first deer.

The next morning after he woke up we went outside to get a picture. He immediately grabbed his horns and got a smile on his face. It made me think about the years ahead when we can go hunting as a family and watch him harvest his first deer.
I took the deer to my parents to skin him out and get him in the cooler, my wife sent me the picture of us. As I opened it I got tears in my eyes and just canít wait to take him on his first hunt, hoping he enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.
My season was short, and now I gotta wait till rifle to get my wife back in the stand, she missed last year due to the birth of our child.

Itís not the biggest buck, but it sure is a special one for me.
Size doesn't matter, it's everything else behind the Hunt, Hat's Off to ya and the future Hunter.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page