First buck at 41 years old. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 36Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

First buck at 41 years old.

So I came from a hunting family but never got into it as a kid because athletics pretty much took all my time and focus and because I lived with my mom so I was never very close to the hunters on my dad's side. A few years ago I decided life was short and I would regret it if I never took the time to get in the woods and hunt. So I started picking peoples brains, reading magazines and watching a lot of YouTube videos to gather as much information as possible. I went the first year on public land and the only thing I ever saw were the deer that I moved when I entered and left the woods. There was one corner of the area that nobody went near because it was incredibly thick and almost impossible to get through. So one day in late October last year as I sat there not seeing anything I decided to get on my belly and start crawling through that mess. I took me a good two and a half hours to get a couple hundred yards into it. I finally found a small opening in the brush and sat up against a tree and waited. After about half an hour I used a bleat call. A minute after that I hear cracking branches and then I see what in my eyes was an absolute monster buck walking about fifteen yards in front of me. The next twenty seconds were like a dream. I can't even say I was nervous. It was just surreal. I took the point blank shot, the buck took off running, and then reality set in. I found the arrow in a bush and there was no blood on it whatsoever. I looked around the ground. No blood. I realized that somehow I just missed a monster from inside of fifteen yards and I just about felt like crying. I followed the path of the dear in a panic hoping to find blood. I never found blood, but I did find the buck lying dead on the ground with a clean shot through the lungs. I was overcome. I fell on my knees and thanked God. Once I gained composure, I did the worst field dressing job in the history of hunting and started to drag the big boy out. If getting into that area was difficult, pulling a buck out was almost impossible. It was dark a half hour into it. I had to push through ten yards, set the flashlight down, go back for the dear, and then go back for the bow. I did not have a phone on me so I was very worried about what my wife was thinking. At some point, I got impatient, so I went farther ahead with the flashlight. Of course I went back and could not find my bow. Twenty minutes later, I said the heck with it and left the bow. I figured I would come back the next day for it. An hour later, I lost the buck! It took me a long panicked time, but I found it. After three hours of ---- pulling the thing into the open, I left it there, went to my car for my phone, called my wife who was worried sick, and then called my friend who came to help me. We took it to his farm where him and his dad made fun of me for my brutal field dressing job and gave me a lesson in skinning and butchering a deer. The next day I went back and found the bow. It was an evening I will never forget. Most of the people on this forum probably would pass on this buck for something bigger, but for this 41 year old rookie, I am very proud of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190725_080603083_1571262246124.jpg (733.8 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg image000000_01_1571262386684.jpg (192.0 KB, 217 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Part of the Community

Congratulations on a great buck!
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Part of the Community

First of that was the most entertaining read I have ever had. I loved it. Great story. I had a good laugh and was excited to read on. Second of all that is a monster 6 point. Be very proud of yourself for that buck. It’s a nice mature buck. I would shoot that any day of the week in any state across the country. Congratulations on an amazing hunt and an amazing buck. And smart move getting in to the the thick!!!
bohunr, rrroae and 1Chewer! like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Nothing wrong with that buck. He is a dandy. Definitely would have been proud to take him.
bohunr and fall gobbler like this.

4B
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage

Beautiful buck!!
bohunr likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Great story thanks for sharing, that big 6 would be proudly displayed on my wall as well...Beautiful 1st buck indeed...
bohunr likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:17 PM
The Man

Heck of a nice buck! Congrats!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Your hooked! great buck! congrats
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice one for the first one! I got a guy at camp who's 46 and never shot a buck. Maybe there is hope for him.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Holy big 6! That's a dandy!
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in