The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Hit a buck on public land tonight.........

7K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Oursavagenature 
#1 ·
Did some map scouting late last night and decided to hit a piece of public land I have never been too. Scouted my way into an oak transition next to thick bedding. Found a good tree and got set up, and within minutes had 3 bucks writhing 60 yards. A little fork horn, a spike, and a bigger buck. The two younger bucks fed on some acorn as the bigger buck bedded down with the wind at its back looking down the ridge within 50 yards. I watched this buck bed in that spot for two hours only to get up and move ten yards, ate some acorns and bedded back down within 40 yards but not with a clear shot. As the buck was bedded down 5 does came through, with a mature doe dead down wind of me. For sure thought I was going to get busted by the momma doe, but after an intense 20 minutes she passed through without winding me. @ 6:30 the buck that was bedded down got up and made a move towards my stand, at 33 yards he presented a shot and I let one fly. What seemed to feel like a good shot, I watched the buck run, tail up, down into the thick bedding. Gave it till dark and went to check for blood at the impact site, nothing. Couldn’t find my arrow either. Within 20 yards I found some dark blood( only a couple drops) and decided to back out. I will be heading in the morning to hopefully retrieve my arrow and the buck. Thinking I hit liver. Felt like a great shot but the blood says otherwise! Wish me luck boys I have a feeling I have some tracking to do.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I hit a doe with what I was sure a liver shot about 9 in morning, a few years ago. She laid down within 25 yards of being hit and I backed out. Around 4 PM I went back to find she moved about 10 yards and I had to finish her off. Best of Luck finding the Buck! It is always a restless night waiting to track a buck. Keep us updated.

#14 ·
Good luck, looks like a pretty good one. I can't believe the people still seeing bucks in bachelor groups. I read another post over the weekend a guy killed one similar. I can't ever recall seeing a bachelor group past the first week of October. This season the deer behavior and sign in the woods just seems a little off of what it typically is by now.

#16 ·
Well, I hope the OP made a good hit and finds his buck, but running tail up and only a few drops of blood doesn't sound like a liver hit to me. The few deer I've killed with liver hits took a jump or two, stood there a moment with tail twitching, then walked away with tail clamped tight, and lay down and died within 50 yards.

Reactions: Bigbrownie
#20 ·
One more reason to shoot a lighted nock on a hunting arrow. My arrows are the most expensive thing I shoot all year, but I know where they hit when I let them fly. I hope he finds the buck too.

I also prefer to shoot long range target with a lighted nock, my old eyes see their impact better too when lighted.

#22 ·
Well guys. Sorry for the long wait. Wasn’t any service where I was at. Found the deer within 100 yards dead. Arrow still in him. Made a better shot than I thought. Hit the front shoulder and never passed through. Filled up on the inside with a lung and the liver destroyed. The arrow plugged in him would explain the lack of blood I found but still not understanding the few drops of dark blood that led me to believe it was a liver shot. Either way i am extremely happy to recover the deer and know that he didn’t suffer. First map scouting buck where the plan actually came together. Now I can focus on my daughter and son putting an arrow in what would be there first buck. All I can say this was overall one of my favorite hunts and you have to love when a plan comes together. Wish everybody luck the rest of the season and hopefully I can post some pics of my kids getting it done!

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.