Hunt the wind - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt the wind

How many of you will not hunt if the wind is wrong for your spot, especially if hunting time is limited?

I did not hunt Tuesday because the wind was wrong and the only thing I know for sure is that I did not kill a deer.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM
dce
Sage

I wouldn't even consider hunting a spot if the wind is wrong.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Entirely depends on the spot. Hunting big woods deer I absolutely stay out if the wind is wrong. Some spots around home in 5B I hunt regardless of the wind because they live with human scent.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:58 PM

If the wind is wrong or changes and is not favorable relative to where the deer are at and where they are expected to come from, I will get down and reset or just go home if I don't have any other options.

I DO NOT rely solely on the wind though. My scent REDUCTION regimen is strict so in the case a buck "J Hooks" and comes at me from downwind, I will be confident knowing I took the precautions I could to help reduce my downwind human odor, even if it's only a small percentage vs. the guy who refuses to give into scent reduction measures.

Previously JJ5C
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
Entirely depends on the spot. Hunting big woods deer I absolutely stay out if the wind is wrong. Some spots around home in 5B I hunt regardless of the wind because they live with human scent.
This^ Areas I hunt the deer are used to human scent, i try to pick a stand site with favorable winds, but may not totally dismiss a spot solely on wind. That being said i do my best to reduce my scent no matter where i am hunting.
SRA-5C+ likes this.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Same as a couple guys above. It depends where I am hunting. If I am hunting big woods then I pay attention to the wind. If I am hunting a small suburban woodlot where human scent is always present then I tend to take some chances.
coyotejohn likes this.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:40 PM
The Man

Certain spots, i wont hunt with a bad wind. These are usually close to bedding areas. Other travel corridors, i will hunt with a bad wind, but i will try and locate myself to reduce scent impact.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM
dce
Sage

I used to hunt a residential area and to be honest,I got busted up in a tree more in one year than I ever got busted in the big woods.The little buggers seemed to know where people were a threat and where they weren't.
SRA-5C+ and Haggs like this.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 PM

I've lost count of the times I've had deer come in from unexpected directions. I might be more cautious if only hunting a particular animal, but as an equal oppurtunity hunter, it's first come first served, so, unless it's a totally ridiculous wind swirling all over, I'm likely to hunt where I planned.
coyotejohn and Juniata4ever like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

What do you guys do when hunting big woods during the rut. I’m not hunting food or bedding because they are both everywhere. I’m usually hunting the edge of different age cuts. They are both thick and can hold deer at any given time. I can have deer come from any direction. I usually try to place my stand down wind of where I’m facing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page