The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Safety Line on Ladder Stand

993 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Tuna_ 
#1 ·
Hunting from a ladder stand for the first time. I have a harness and a safety line in case I fall when hunting. Wondering if I should leave the safety line attached all the time so when I climb up or down, I am attached with prusik loop? I am worried that that safety line would deteriorate in the elements.

Wondering what others do to maintain safety at all times.

#2 ·
Yes, that is the point of the safety line. Keep it attached all season while you use the stand and stay connect from the time you are on the ground until the time you are strapped in and standing/seating in your stand. Most falls happen while climbing up or down, not when seated in the stand.

#6 ·
This advice is spot on. Inspect your fall protection equipment each time you use the stand, and replace the components regularly as direct sunlight / UV light will destroy the rope system over time. Think of it as a cheap insurance policy on your life.

Like WW noted, speed will kill. Use a haul rope to get your bow up once you're situated in your stand, and keep your anchor point as high above you as possible to limit your fall distance - this improves your odds of self rescuing back onto your ladder platform if you fall.

I agree with WW 100% - punching my buck tag ain't worth losing my life or suffering a permanent disability.

#3 ·
I utilize ladder stands for the ability to make a fast entrance and exit. No time wasted at the base of the tree. Sure, I could utilize a lifeline and gear rope but the defeats my intended purpose for the stand in the first place. I climb up with bow in hand wrapped around the backside of the ladder. Throw on a harness once up mainly because I stand on the seat the majority of time.

#4 ·
Leave line attached. Clip in and climb. Put safety belt from harness around tree. Unclip from safety line and clip to safety belt, Or hunt while attached to safety line,

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.