Saddle Hunting Platform - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Saddle Hunting Platform

I graduated from a full body harness, to a rock climbing harness, and now to a Tethrd Mantis saddle.
I wanted to make an ultra lite platform for those quick "hour after work" hunts since that's what I tend to hunt most anymore. I put a lone wolf seat on a lone wolf stick and the total weight came in at 4.4 pounds. I'll either take in all four sticks with aiders or maybe just do a "two stick" method and leapfrog the first stick until I get to the height I need....then hang the stick with the platform.

I'm really liking the Tethrd Mantis. Even with the RC harness I found myself standing and leaning more than sitting. The true saddle makes it even more comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lone wolf platform 1.jpg (74.1 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg lone wolf platform 2.jpg (69.8 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg lone wolf platform 4.jpg (79.9 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg lone wolf platform 5.jpg (69.8 KB, 564 views)

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Me likey.

I can get the sticks hung pretty quick and quiet, but the stand is always noisey and time consuming, not to mention cumbersome to carry in. This looks like it might be a better solution.
bohunr likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Fairchild, awesome. thanks for sharing another light weight portable option other than a climber or sticks with traditional Hang on. This could be sweet for a rut week short afternoon set that you only planned on leaving out for a couple weeks.

As far as same day portable sets... I would be game for trying this, however I’m still hesitant it would save me any time compared to a climber.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Also I know a lot of guys who really like the rock climbing harnesses, and I’ve put some thought into them.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna_ View Post
Fairchild, awesome. thanks for sharing another light weight portable option other than a climber or sticks with traditional Hang on. This could be sweet for a rut week short afternoon set that you only planned on leaving out for a couple weeks.

As far as same day portable sets... I would be game for trying this, however Im still hesitant it would save me any time compared to a climber.

It won't save you any time, but it will open opportunities where a climber can't go. I have some properties where it wouldn't make sense to take anything but a climber.....straight limbless trees everywhere. Then I have some properties where you might as well leave the climber in the garage....not a straight limbless tree in sight.

The rock climbing harness has been a game changer for me and I think the saddle will just add to the comfort level.
I've let three people borrow my RC harness to try out. All 3 have since switched from a traditional harness to an RC harness.
bohunr likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
Me likey.

I can get the sticks hung pretty quick and quiet, but the stand is always noisey and time consuming, not to mention cumbersome to carry in. This looks like it might be a better solution.

That is my hope for this technique. Get in close to bedding....set up quickly and quietly with a minimum amount of gear.
bohunr likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Not familiar with this stand, but from looking at the picture it does not appear to be an easy transition to get from the top step to access the platform above as it appears the platform is wider than the steps. How does this work?
bohunr likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

You like that? Hanging from a rope and clips? I'd rather be in a nice secure loc on stand or climber with a safety harness as backup.

How would you rate it for comfort compared to a loc on or climber?

I know it is light. I never had a problem packing in my Lone Wolf hand climber though.

Your choice, good luck with it.
bohunr, Dogface and Potter Co. Joe like this.

Last edited by 35 whelen; 09-01-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Not familiar with this stand, but from looking at the picture it does not appear to be an easy transition to get from the top step to access the platform above as it appears the platform is wider than the steps. How does this work?

It certainly appears worse than it is.
It doesn't take much more effort to step up on the platform than it does to step onto a regular step....just swing your leg out to the side a bit wider. If that doesn't work for you, the seat folds up and down as well.
bohunr likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You like that? Hanging from a rope and clips? I'd rather be in a nice secure loc on stand or climber with a safety harness as backup.

How would you rate it for comfort compared to a loc on or climber?

I know it is light. I never had a problem packing in my Lone Wolf hand climber though.

Your choice, good luck with it.

It's not nearly as comfortable as sitting in a summit climber, but it is more comfortable for me than sitting upright in a lock-on.
This single stick weighs under 5 pounds and I can be 18' up a tree and ready in under 5 minutes.
I've hunted with guys that took 10 minutes just to get their climber ready at the base of a tree.

This is a highly specialized technique for quick hunts in close quarters.

As far as the harnesses, I'll take an RC harness or saddle every time over a traditional harness. To me there is no comparison over which one is better in every regard.
bohunr and 35 whelen like this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in