Bowhunter Training - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Bowhunter Training

My grandson turns 12 this year and it will (hopefully) be his first year bowhunting. We've participated during some of the mentored youth stuff but I wouldn't let him archery hunt until he turned 12. He's been shooting (crossbows) with me for years. Today we went to Deer Park so we could work on shot placement. While everyone one else was feeding the cervids crackers we focused on shot angles, shot placement and shot timing. All hypothetically of course

Then it was off to the range. Making him use a shooting stick for safety and stability. The shooting stick forces him to keep his hand well below the string path so when buck fever kicks in nothing tragic happens. Also wanted him to use a single reitcal scope so there's a clear sight picture and no confusion during the moment of truth. I had to bump up the stock comb with pipe insulation for him to get the proper cheek weld.

I won't let him shoot past 20 yards, and he can hold a 3" group at that distance very well. Who knows what will happen when shooting at a live target??? Probably all for not because he has football practice 5 nights a week after school, and games on Saturdays. Really hoping to squeeze a hunt or two in, but doubtful. Sorry for rambling...just a proud grandpa ecstatic about passing my passion on to another generation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elk.jpg (142.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg practice.jpg (281.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg bullseye (Medium).jpg (206.2 KB, 20 views)
bohunr, Loggy, Dogface and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 PM

Best of luck this fall. You just have to tell mom and dad that hunting is more important than football, lol.
bohunr and TBrom like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Its great that you spend time with the boy. You know he will never forget that. Means a awful lot now and will be more important later in his life but he won't know that now. But he has a choice, he can play ball, or he can hunt. His choice. I had had same choice as a boy. I choose to hunt.
bohunr, loridr and TBrom like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I wish it were that simple guys. Both of his parents are remarried and he lives with his mother. We only get him 3 days every other weekend during the school year. The other side are not hunters and their emphasis is on the stick and ball sports, so that's where he gets most of his influence from. It's all good. Very thankful he has caring homes on both sides. He wants to hunt, but we'll probably have to wait until he can be around more. I would love to get that fire lit in him now, though.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Good luck in getting him out this fall!!!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM

Tbrom...Just keep every outdoor experience positive for him and enjoy every moment ..good and bad. Thank you for doing your part in preserving our hunting heritage.
bohunr, TBrom and Hunter6582 like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Its great that you spend time with the boy. You know he will never forget that. Means a awful lot now and will be more important later in his life but he won't know that now. But he has a choice, he can play ball, or he can hunt. His choice. I had had same choice as a boy. I choose to hunt.
Well said here. I’d love to be able to fish one more time with my grandpa on the banks of the Allegheny. Great memories though.
bohunr, TBrom and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Part of the Community

I don't know what his football schedule is like but I know most of the youth and junior high football seasons in my area end in October. Hopefully it is the same for your grandson so he can get out during the last two weeks of the season which is probably the most exciting time to be in the woods anyway! I'm sure you will be able to find some time to get out in the woods. Best of luck to you this season!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:22 PM
dce
Sage

Nice looking lad.Good luck.My son played midget football when he was a MY and it threw a monkey wrench into archery season.We could usually squeeze in a sat morning or afternoon hunt in but rarely both.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Don't know if it's a possibility, but if his grades are good, and everything's going well, skipping school a morning or two might be a nice reward? "Not feeling well" til about noon was fairly common at our house on random frosty fall mornings. All still graduated with high honors despite being "ill" occasionally during certain times of the year, and suprisingly all have gone on to productive lives irregardless of such terrible parenting. Hard to imagine, huh?

Time spent with grandpa can be a valuable part of any young man's education. And I'm not joking about that even a little.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page