The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Which broadhead are you using this year.

11K views 110 replies 72 participants last post by  HankTheTank 
#1 ·
So what broadhead is everyone using this year? I have a brand new 3 pack of Rage Hypodermics but I don't think I want to use them. I'm thinking of using my Muzzy MX-3's or buying some QAD Exodus. I think I feel more confident with a fixed blade over a mechanical. Which is funny because the last deer I shot was with a NAP Killzone. It sliced right through the heart and dropped the doe in her tracks.

#5 · (Edited)
I've engineered and built a 550 grain total weight arrow tipped with 125 grain Bone Broadhead, single bevel blade. It shoots like a dart and hits very heavy. It should have no issues completely passing through any part of a deer at most any angle. I can hardly wait to let er' fly on deer. I've put it to the test and get complete pass throughs on both sides of a 55 gallon steel drum. Look out Loretta!

Reactions: fragmag
#10 ·
Just an FYI for those looking to shoot a fixed blade broadhead this year. I recently concluded testing on the new Crimson Talon heads and they are an excellent broadhead. This is not the old Crimson Talon company/manufacturer. That company folded and the name and patents have been picked up by someone new. They've done extensive testing and beefed up the blades and ferrules. It has a solid Trocar tip and six blades. It flys and groups very well. I am not a fixed blade guy, but if I was this head would get some serious consideration.

Attachments

#18 ·
on

The Ironwills have a huge following in the elk hunting community, the A2 steel is top of the line and reportedly holds an edge. They also shoot spot on with field points, but like mentioned at 30.00 each I have a hard time buying and shooting them. Last year in Idaho I shot a bull and did not recover the arrow. With the price tag I would not want to do that with them.

SlickTricks for all of us here, they have worked for me well over 16 years.

#21 ·
I switched from Rage Hypo's to Muzzy 3-Blade and will never go back. Durability, accuracy, penetration, etc. IMO is better with the Muzzys. Plus, I dont have to worry about that shock collar opening (or not opening) properly.

#22 ·
Rage broadheads, when put to the steel drum test, are the worst performing broadhead of them all.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.