Foc - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Pa.Bone

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Foc

I just finished calculating my FOC and I came up with 6.7% which from what I read isn't great. Now obviously I can go move to a 125 grain field point/broadhead but I'd rather not have to re-invest the money into all new broad heads when I have hundreds of dollars into perfectly good 100 grain ones. So my only other option is to go to brass inserts or similar, correct? Is doing this going to get me into the 10%ish range? Is there any other options besides losing some weight in the back end? (I like my lighted nocks, wraps, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are a few things you can do depending on the type of inserts you have. Inserts are 8/32 thread and some are threaded all the way through and some just have a hole in the back end and the threads don't extend all the way through. If your inserts are threading all the way you can take 8/32 set screws say 3/4 or 1 inch long and thread them in first with blue threadlocker, then screw your field points or broadheads on. Make sure to thread them in the same length, measure insert first and don't run them all the way through. Second you may have to modify your inserts by opening up the end and re tapping and will have to remove them to do so. Third Gold tip makes a stackable insert weight system you can buy in 10 and 20 grain weights. Others options are like you mentioned are brass inserts and they also make 10 grain washers you can add under your tips, but can only add probably two washers or you will not have enough threads in your insert.
007hunter and yellodog like this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What arrows,What inserts are you using ? what gr ? You want your FOC to be 11 -15%
Your lighted nocks,wrap and fletching won't change your FOC much !
How are your inserts glued in ? (what glue)
When you start using allot of weight up front you have to be careful because you might change the spine you need and could be under spined ! If you tell me your complete setup I can run it on a calculator for you if you'd like !

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The arrows are Gold tip expedition hunter 5575 8.2 gpi. The inserts were in them when I bought them but I assume they are just standard aluminum. Not sure about what kind of glue.

I'm shooting an Elite Ritual 28" DL @ 67lbs.

Any idea what kind of weight I would need to get me to 10%+?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How long are you arrows from carbon to carbon ? What lighted nock are you using ? vanes # and kind ?

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Carbon to carbon they are 27 5/8". Using Ignitor lighted knocks. Vanes and wraps are NAP twister quikfletch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM
The Man

This is a good calculator. You can play with all the numbers to get you where you need to be.
https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Ca...alculator.aspx

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I just did a quick weigh of my arrow and its right at 400 grains out the door. Pretty light? No?

I'm messing with the gold tip calculator now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page