Draw weight and age - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Draw weight and age

Turning 63 in Nov and pulling 63 lbs on my PSE.

Not gonna lie, it’s a struggle, but I am just starting to shoot for the year... it will get better.

My question is, will reducing draw weight to 58 make a big difference, in both shooting and effort, and what are other guys my age pulling?

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Arrows kill by hemorrhage. So as long as you have enough power to get deep enough penetration with your broadhead how many pounds your bow is matters not. Arrow weight matters as mush as draw weight but you seldom hear that mentioned because these days it all about speed. I killed several deer with a 45 pound draw recurve. With the heavy cedar arrows that bow had a trajectory like a rainbow. But those arrows, while slow were heavy and penetration was not a problem.. I shot one through a galvanized metal trash can at 30 yards on a bet. Ruined a good broadhead.
bohunr and Laylow like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am 58 and shooting #65 with my elite,im good for about 40 shots then i quit do to bow arm starts to tire, I would have no problem moving to 58# or 55 for that matter.I shot alot of deer at that weight and never had pass thru problems with heavy setups. My advice is shoot what will keep you in the game and keep you accurate. My son killed his first 2 bucks with a 42# draw complete pass thru if that helps.
bohunr and Laylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was shooting 70# and it got to the point I was kidding myself thinking I was 25 again. I'll be 67 in September. (Bummer). I moved down to 50/55 and it's fun, not a struggle, to shoot again. Like any thing else you have to practice at that draw weight. 45 or 50 pounds will do a job on any deer in PA with the right broadhead. I went on a carp shoot a week or so a go and the bows were about 30 pounds draw weight. Had a blast.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 PM

I shot 78 lbs. until I was around 40, then 67 for a few years, down to 62 for some more years. Then I had surgery on my triceps as I had both reattached 18 months a part. Went down to 55 lbs. after surgery and took a few more bucks and a 250 lb. bear all with total pass throughs. Now I shoot 3D during the summer with 53 lbs. at age 73.

Fifty or a few less poundage with a straight arrow and a sharp broadhead is more than enough to harvest the biggest whitetail in PA.

The only difference in harvesting deer with 78 lbs. and 50 lbs is it is easier to pull the bloody arrow out of the ground with the 50 lb. set up.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 PM

MY draw weight depends on how straight I can draw my bow back in a tree stand under hunting conditions, I don`t want to have to draw my bow pointing it up to the sky and then down when that nice buck is in range, he may catch the movement and bolt. If it is cold out it is a real struggle to draw a heavy weight with minimum movement.

With that being said, right now I`m 72 and drawing 62lbs with my Hoyt, but I would not lose much FPS and would still be confident enough for a quick kill even if I lowered my draw weight to say 55lbs as long as I could pull it straight back, that is the key for me....
bohunr likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 07-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

At 51, I am still at 70lbs. However My set up has changed a bit. FMJ arrows really made a difference for distance consistency and penetration was never a problem moving rom old Easton 2219's to the FMJ really was a no brainer. In the coming years, I can see dialing the weight down a bit, but I know one thing... My arrows never, ever stick. I get 2 holes no matter what.
bohunr and tdd like this.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm 57 and shooting 65# out of my Bear Kuma 30 ! I have been shooting most of the year when it wasn't raining !
bohunr likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Prior to my shoulder surgery I was hunting with 62 pounds and my target was at 54 pounds. I would shoot well over 100 arrows with the target bow on some nights. This year I bought a 40 to 50 pound Elite Energy 35 and plan on hunting at around 45 pounds.
bohunr, RayRay, Born2Hunt and 1 others like this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Since shoulder surgery in '08, I shoot 53 lbs. When I pull the arrow out of the dirt , the deer don't know I was only pulling 53lbs. So its only 3" in the dirt instead of the 8-10 that it did at 70lbs.

Your 35 will get the job done. Be patient & take good shots in your lethal range.
I have killed deer out to 36 yards with a 53lb GT500. Your 35 is real close to the GT in specs.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page