Ridley Creek State Park (5D) - Archery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ridley Creek State Park (5D) - Archery

Any thoughts on archery hunting Ridley Creek State Park? Years ago I attempted one afternoon sit there that got sidetracked by hikers & mountain bikers and never went back - was a little bit of a circus. I reside in Delco but normally hunt SGL in 5C & 5B. Like most hunters, due to work & family obligations I have limited time to hunt. I am looking to eliminate the windshield time and spend more time on stand so was contemplating putting serious effort in at RCSP this fall. While I am generally familiar with the park, I need to put the work in and do some serious scouting and find locations deep in off the beaten path (if that exists).

Not asking for anyone to disclose their specific stand locations & such but wanted to know thoughts on if worth my time or if I should focus my efforts elsewhere. I know there are some quality deer there just not sure about dealing with the side show that comes with hunting a state park. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 PM
New Arrival

I have been hunting RCSP since I started hunting and took my first deer there. Decent amount of deer(seeing them is the problem), but a good amount of joggers as well. I have seen that be both a blessing and a curse, hunting in differnt areas. Early fall there is heavy hunting pressure in the major lots and a lot of walkers/joggers/people with dogs. I have had people with dogs scare deer in front of me off and have had deer be pushed towards me from the same event, just depends on location. There is definitely some parts where not many people hunt and no one walks, but you really have to be okay with a good hike in/out. Those spots have been most productive for me after the first week. Very tough spot to hunt though, in my opinion. I put hours and hours in hanging stands/scouting/running cameras and hunting it to not much avail. Decided to start hitting game lands an hour plus away and have been much more successful, with much less effort.

Last edited by macdougherty152; 06-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 AM
New Arrival

I have been hunting RCSP for about 15 years and have taken many deer including 5 bucks. i have only had 1 run in with a guy looking for his dog...no hikers or joggers. Also, rarely see other hunters in the areas i get into. There are multiple secluded and thick areas all along Sandy Flash Dr, including several of the cut off roads. I still havent figured out any pattern in deer movement, i just enter some areas that i have seen deer in the past and hope to get lucky. i have seen some very large deer in the park
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:43 PM

I frequently hunt the park in several different areas as it is right next to my work. Like most public ground it has both positives and negatives

The good parts...
-I never had an issue with non hunters while hunting.
-Their shot gun hunt can be fun as lot of people get the deer moving. If you get pulled, find the thick stuff and stay put.
-There seems to be a good amount of deer in the park.
-You can find parking lots to get away from people along Delchester Rd. That is if you are ok with walking.
-There seems to be a lot of ground to check out.

The bad parts
-It is slammed with hunters in some spots... Funny, I thought Sandy drive was the worst. Take ride past the lots on a Saturday, you will see what I mean.
-I used to run trail cameras but they seem to grow legs.
-Be prepared for the joys of public ground. Being that close to a huge population center has it draw backs. Be ok with guys setting up close by... Also, keep an eye out for monster's in the dark. I see ton's of guys walking in at first light but few guys coming in the dark. ya know because of the monsters that eat people only in the dark.

Final thought is if it is close to work why not give it a shot.... Maybe you find a spot with less people. Find spots with less people. As the pressure goes up, the deer seem to flock to less pressured areas rather quickly. Good luck...

Also, remember to take your stands/blinds down. I saw GC removing stands last year after the season.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Park hunts I apply for is those that close on the day of the hunt.
Most Archery only hunts the Parks stay open and only certain sections are hunt able.
Seeing Mothers, Children Joggers and Dogs while sitting there hunting is just not my Cup of Tea.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Regular Visitor

I've been bowhunting the suburbs of 5C & especially 5D for 40+ years. One thing you have to learn is how to use the non-hunting public to your advantage when you're sharing the space with them. Walkers, runners, bikers, etc. will force deer to move around in some instances. I've had more people create shot opportunities for me than blow the opportunities. In places like Ridley Creek State Park, the deer are used to all the human activity on the trails and don't usually spook until people leave the trails. You just have to spend time in the area & see how the deer react & to see what their escape routes are. Do that enough, & you'll figure things out and be successful year after year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page