PA hunter access program - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

PA hunter access program

Hey guys -- Anyone have any experience with hunting properties that are in the private land access program? For some reason, I knew other states offered it, but never knew PA did and just stumbled onto it. For those who have, were properties overcrowded? Were landowners accessible? I also see a couple near where I'm looking have "big game restrictions"... Any idea what that would mean?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think "big game" restrictions meant they didn't want you hunting big game ... last i looked they had similar symbols for people that didn't want trapping or turkey hunting or small game hunting. you still need to stop and ask them permission to hunt, but i guess the idea was that you wouldn't bother asking someone if you could hunt turkey if they had a restricted turkey symbol on the map for their property.

I haven't found new properties to hunt using the program - I've heard others say that the maps are sometimes off a good bit and that they're not really kept up to date that well. It is a starting point though.
OAWC likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM

I agree with GSP. I do not think the maps are up to date. I have found a few access programs real close to my house and knocked on the doors of the property owners for them to tell me they are not enrolled in the program any longer. Never hurts to ask maybe you will get lucky.
Marcus99 likes this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 PM

I agree, I think the maps online are really poor. Maybe they don't want it to be easy I don't know. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a list of properties in the program? Particularly owner address, or contact info?

In my area the dots on the map are mostly in the middle of woods or fields. Kind of hard to tell from an aerial photo who actually owns the property.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I agree, I think the maps online are really poor. Maybe they don't want it to be easy I don't know. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a list of properties in the program? Particularly owner address, or contact info?

In my area the dots on the map are mostly in the middle of woods or fields. Kind of hard to tell from an aerial photo who actually owns the property.
I am wondering if you mail in a request like you do to find out what red tag areas are available if they will send you hunter access program properties as well. I just don't think those maps are to reliable and don't trust them.

4B
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The only places around me I see are conservation areas. Last year was the first time I really paid them any attention. There is one that's 400 acres near me and I thought it could be a gold mine. The 8000 acre game lands is around 1 mile away from this 400 acre property. Guys hit that 400 acres like nobody's business and barely touch the 8000 acres. Scouting game lands is always a good idea to find those overlooked spots.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:

I poked around for a long time and couldn't find a list... Just the map. And the PGC won't give out contact info because it's a privacy issue. I matched the Google address the PGC map links to for each access area with my Onx account to find landowner name. Whether they are actually enrolled or not, time will tell when I make my rounds.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:

I contacted the PGC for such as list and they told me they don’t give that information out because of privacy. They told me to drive around and look for signs. And, their mapping software either sucks or they make it inaccurate on purpose. One day I wasted a tank of fuel looking for all these properties and only found 2 signs and they weren’t even close to where they should have been. Other states actually give detailed information/directions to the properties they have enrolled. Same ole same ole from the PGC I wouldn’t expect it any other way.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Regular Visitor

This year I used the PGC Mapping to locate Hunter Access properties an hour and a half away from my home where I hunt state game lands for turkey. I located 2 properties registered in the program. While scouting I visted the one 117 acre farm and introduced myself to the property owner. The property owner was very cordial and granted me permission. As usual I gave the owner my information and vehicle description. They simply wanted to know when I would be hunting and said they would let other family members know I had permission. I only hunted the farm one time. Unfornately there was a death in the family and the farm will be up for auction. Hopefully the new owner will continue with the program. I find the mapping to be very useful.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Last I looked at my area the maps were a bit outdated... 2 farms real close to me have been out of the program for 10yrs at least. (i used to hunt them for geese). I have not had much difficulty finding the few others I checked out.... One thing I noticed some are only marked with 1 sign at the driveway while others are marked with more signs. Another thing is they do not have to let "everybody" hunt they can limit the number of hunters. Most of the ones I checked(and got permission) out for deer hunting had more guys than I was looking for so I didn't hunt.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page