Vacation dates - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

10-27 to 11/2. Since getting serious about running cameras, I can tell you magic begins right around Halloween. Somewhere between the day before Halloween and the first day or 2 of November, I can my most mature bucks on their feet in daylight hitting scrapes. I had a target buck I was after last season where I only ever had a picture in the middle of the night. I got a picture of him hitting a scrape I hunt at 3pm on Halloween day, only to never see him or get another picture of him the rest of the season. And no one killed him either.

Halloween and right after are the ticket.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:08 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For me in 4B, it would be 11/3 thru 11/9. I've killed more bucks that week than any other.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM

I am switching my approach this year and scattering days throughout November instead of taking a solid block. Then I can also make some adjustments to hit the best weather.

My take is that rut phases are somewhere between completely bogus and a bit of a misconception. In the macro sense maybe, but locally it's all driven by when individual does come into heat and that happens basically on a bell curve over a few weeks. There are no discreet phases as the writers want to believe.

Anything from October 20 through the end of the season can be great on a given day. Especially if its cold. I tend to see bigger bucks more toward Thanksgiving. The yearlings definitely get randy around Halloween and first week of Nov and do a lot of seeking. The older bucks seem to sit back and wait more until that second week. And anywhere in that window you happen upon a hot doe in the area can be nonstop action.
loridr and cspot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
The yearlings definitely get randy around Halloween and first week of Nov and do a lot of seeking. The older bucks seem to sit back and wait more until that second week. And anywhere in that window you happen upon a hot doe in the area can be nonstop action.
Yep. My feelings as well lately. The older bucks are moving the first week of November but a good bit of it at night. The second week on November they are moving in daylight consistently.

But as you say, a hot doe at any times changes the dynamic.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
I am switching my approach this year and scattering days throughout November instead of taking a solid block. Then I can also make some adjustments to hit the best weather.

My take is that rut phases are somewhere between completely bogus and a bit of a misconception. In the macro sense maybe, but locally it's all driven by when individual does come into heat and that happens basically on a bell curve over a few weeks. There are no discreet phases as the writers want to believe.

Anything from October 20 through the end of the season can be great on a given day. Especially if its cold. I tend to see bigger bucks more toward Thanksgiving. The yearlings definitely get randy around Halloween and first week of Nov and do a lot of seeking. The older bucks seem to sit back and wait more until that second week. And anywhere in that window you happen upon a hot doe in the area can be nonstop action.
Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes taking a solid block of time can wear on you mentally if the action is slow. By scattering days you are more likely to stay fresh mentally.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 PM

Anything from October 20 through the end of the season can be great on a given day. Especially if its cold. I tend to see bigger bucks more toward Thanksgiving. The yearlings definitely get randy around Halloween and first week of Nov and do a lot of seeking. The older bucks seem to sit back and wait more until that second week. And anywhere in that window you happen upon a hot doe in the area can be nonstop action.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this!!! it seems to me the closer we get to November 9 the more the bigger bucks are moving!!! I like to take 3 days on either side of the 9th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page