• 1 Post By flintlock hunter
  • 1 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By WexfordBowhunter
  • 1 Post By dpms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

125 or 100 gr. Xbow Broadhead?

I sighted in my Barnett Xbow with 100 gr field tips but I think 125 gr. would be a better choice for a mechanical broad head for hunting. Any of you fellas have experience with either or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Regular Visitor

I use 100 Grain Rage Crossbow Mechanicals and I shoot a Excalibur Matrix 380 .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
I sighted in my Barnett Xbow with 100 gr field tips but I think 125 gr. would be a better choice for a mechanical broad head for hunting. Any of you fellas have experience with either or both?
I have a Barnett C-5 Wildcat. Had a ton of problem getting broadheads to shoot to the same place as target tips. Started with Barnett carbon bolts and Thunderhead 125. Disaster.

Went to a 125gr Spitfire Mechanical for the first few years, but didnt have the accuracy I was looking for.
Changed to barnetts X blade, and figured I had it. They discontinued the X blade!

What I shoot today will group 2 inches @ 50yds,( 40 is actually my hunting limt), using Easton XX75 aluminum and 100gr NAP Shockwave. I do sharpen every blade before hunting with them, even the new ones, and they devastate any animal they pass through. Same POI as 100gr target tips.
Waynzee likes this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:52 PM

My advice would be to look at your arrows. Do they have a brass insert up front or aluminum? If it is brass, I would shoot the 100 grain broadhead. If it is aluminum, I would go with a heavier broadhead like a 125. Shorter arrows benefit from increased FOC.

Better quality crossbow arrows typically have a brass insert up front. Something to look for when you purchase some more.
Waynzee likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
My advice would be to look at your arrows. Do they have a brass insert up front or aluminum? If it is brass, I would shoot the 100 grain broadhead. If it is aluminum, I would go with a heavier broadhead like a 125. Shorter arrows benefit from increased FOC.

Better quality crossbow arrows typically have a brass insert up front. Something to look for when you purchase some more.
My bolts have aluminum inserts so 125gr. it is. What is FOC?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

FOC is "Front of Center" referring to the balance point of your complete shaft/head assembly. You like to have the center of gravity a little forward of the center of the shaft. I'm sure others will chime is as to how much forward.
Waynzee likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
My bolts have aluminum inserts so 125gr. it is. What is FOC?
Front of center. Measure the distance between the tip of the arrow point and the base of your nock where the string contacts the nock and divide by 2. This is the mid point of your arrow. Now find the point at which the arrow balances. Measure the distance between that point and the mid point of your arrow. Take this measurement and divide it by the overall length. This is your FOC. For crossbow arrows, 12-18% is recommended with many preferring 15-18%.

Example:

point to nock = 21 inches
mid point = 10.5 inches
balance point = 3 inches in front of mid point
FOC = 3/21 = 14.28%

To increase FOC you can add weight up front or decrease weight in the back of the arrow.
Waynzee likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Front of center. Measure the distance between the tip of the arrow point and the base of your nock where the string contacts the nock and divide by 2. This is the mid point of your arrow. Now find the point at which the arrow balances. Measure the distance between that point and the mid point of your arrow. Take this measurement and divide it by the overall length. This is your FOC. For crossbow arrows, 12-18% is recommended with many preferring 15-18%.

Example:

point to nock = 21 inches
mid point = 10.5 inches
balance point = 3 inches in front of mid point
FOC = 3/21 = 14.28%

To increase FOC you can add weight up front or decrease weight in the back of the arrow.
Okay, thanks. That formula works pretty good, the 125 gr. field tips balanced out with just a slight tip to the front of the arrow shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page