Tree stand safety - rappel after fall - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

How about suspension relief strap. fits in your pocket and if you fall , you pull it out and use it. They make some that double as a deer drag. HSS I think gives them with every vest, If your hanging there, you hook into your vest, put your foot in a loop and your able to take pressure off body to make a call or whatever you need. I also have some with a loop on both ends, wrap around tree through one loop, and foot goes in free end. All my stands have lifelines ,so its easy to have with me for every stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM

if i fall, its because i fell asleep. i just get right back up and sit down again. i hunt from the ground
flintlock hunter likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a vest with Suspension Relief Strap (SRS), but you still need someone else to rescue you. I don't want to be left hanging. I am trying to find a way to get myself down safely. It appears the Wingman will do that.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM

the longer you hang on the side of the tree with al your weight on the harness, the more your circulation is going to get cut off. buy the one that lowers yourself to the ground.

i remember years ago there was a hunter found dead hanging from a tree. he fell, was suspended by his harness or rig and tried to get himself back into the stand. from the reports i read it appeared that he got tangled in his harness, fell again or slipped and part of the harness wound up around his neck, hanging him.

be safe, a deer is not worth your life.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_pilgrim View Post
I have a vest with Suspension Relief Strap (SRS), but you still need someone else to rescue you. I don't want to be left hanging. I am trying to find a way to get myself down safely. It appears the Wingman will do that.
I dont think you'll regret the Wingman. I would say to try it out at low level with someone around to get comfortable with it. That way you have no doubt in your mind and you can adjust iit as needed based on your weight.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 PM

Get a rock climbing harness. If you fall you'll be facing the tree with the rope in front of you, VERY important! On a regular harness you're suspended with your back to the tree and the rope above and behind you, good luck doing anything in that position.

Try a self rescue with a helper present and your feet a foot or two off the ground. You'll learn alot about what's possible and what's not.
bohunr and 308 ruger like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM

First thought, on a quality treestand that is properly inspected for damage and properly maintained, I think the odds of one breaking are exceptionally small. The most likely reason for a fall is a mistake or misstep by the hunter. Lose your balance, or make a mental error when dead tired after going all-in five straight days during the rut. I think the most likely scenario is to make that human error and fall off the stand, but then I am hanging right there near the stand with a chance to climb back into a lock-on, or manipulate and move a climber so at least I can get on the platform. But also nothing is impossible.

That being said, some of these devices look pretty neat, my only concern is that it would be one more thing that needs to be learned how to use correctly. And remembered to be used correctly. Each little thing we add to the process gives us one more chance to mess up.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree that trying the Wingman our is a nice option. I tried mine out from about 10ft and it worked great. I now use it any stand I am hunting from. It is a great peace of minds especially in my climber when I am hunting alone to know I have a way of getting down safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 ruger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_pilgrim View Post
I dont think you'll regret the Wingman. I would say to try it out at low level with someone around to get comfortable with it. That way you have no doubt in your mind and you can adjust iit as needed based on your weight.
308 ruger and 325wsm like this.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Another vote for treestand wingman. Tested mine out from full height in my stand. Worked really well. I’m 6’2” 250 so not a small guy and it worked great.

It's not luck if success is consistent.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM
dce

Most of those devises would be impractical to use with a climber.When I use a climber,I stay strapped in as soon as I leave the ground,moving the rope up as I go.I've never fallen but have slid down a few trees in the old Loggy Bayou days.In the event of a fall,I keep a folding screw in step in my vest pocket.That way you can screw it in and get back on the platform.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page