Will you give Traditional archery a try in 2019? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Will you give Traditional archery a try in 2019?

Full Circle Outdoor Lifestyle: Will You Take the Leap into Traditional Archery This Year?

I wrote up this article after working on it since December. 2018 was my "Leap Year" as I like to call it. I finally gave into all of the "i really want to try traditional archery" and "maybe next year" and went for it. I wanted to put together my thoughts on my leap year and share it with you guys who were like me and on the fence to give it a try for a long time. I am not a pro by any means just wanted to share my journey with you all. I don't think Ill be going back to the compound anytime soon. Its just a neat experience that you can't really put into words until you try it.

Hope this can help some of you guys make 2019 your leap year.
Flintnocker likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Will you give Traditional archery a try in 2019?

Nope! Gave it up in the 90's. I believe it's a journey every bowhunter should experience, though. There's something magical about the simplicity of traditional bowhunting. The Witchery of Archery, G.Fred Asbell's meanderings and Fred Bear's chronicled traditional adventures are a must read for becoming one with the arrow. Good luck on your journey/adventure. Hope to see many success pics in the future. I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I gave it up back when compound bows were legalized...a few years ago I did buy a take down trad bow...tried to practice with it ...but I will likely never hunt with it...I have too much respect for the game I hunt.
Flintnocker and Laylow like this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nope.
Flintnocker likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still shoot my recurves, but will probably not deer hunt anytime soon. I've been wanting to late season rabbit hunt with my recurve with someone with good dogs and just never make it happen.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I did that back in the eighties and nineties. I took some deer through the years but to be honest I stuck and wounded two that I never recovered. Both bucks. Looked for them for days. It bothers me to this day. I gave up archery hunting and I was to busy trapping then any way to care. Fur prices were okay then. Years later I took up flintlock hunting. I have shot many deer with the flintlock. The farthest any of them ran was maybe 40 yards. So far so good. To those hunting with a bow I say, good luck, good hunting!
Flintnocker likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Part of the Community

This website contains so much, with so many wise individuals...it is w/o doubt my favorite reading material. Period. For those here I was once the legislative director for the United Bowhunters of Pa. I am still somewhat active, mostly from where I sit as I type this...doing this...typing. I moved on, so to speak, because the time had come, and is still here now, to blow the doors right off for incredible increased opportunity for ALL outdoors oriented folks!!! Way I SEE it...it is also key to the survival of the human race(S) on planet earth. My greatest JOY is taking my ten year old grandson to the mountains with me and showing him that generations of his family and ALL of THEIR friends and relatives have worked tirelessly to provide the ABUNDANCE he easily SEES with his own eyes. Pass this along, PAY it FORWARD! just as you all are now! Thank you all!
ed
dce, Pa.Bone and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very good article. Thanks for posting it.

Its something I've been kicking around for about a year now - although not very seriously. I started watching a traditional guy on youtube because it seemed like a lot of what he does has some carry over at least to me with the compound. Mobile public land hunting & had some good ideas on linesmans belts & safety harnesses. Kept watching it & am starting to get this bug to try traditional ... Never having done it - its more of a I don't even know what I don't know at this point, but it seems fun.

I didn't "archery" hunt until crossbows were legalized. I did that for a year or two before deciding for myself that it wasn't for me and - honestly - its not much fun to practice with a crossbow. I enjoy shooting my compound. Even if its just for fun with a friend in the backyard. I think I'd enjoy traditional the same way. I think it would take me awhile to get comfortable enough with a traditional bow to take it out in the woods.

I'm sure I'll get something eventually especially as the kids get older and I have more time. I've started half way keeping my eye out for something used to just get started on.
Flintnocker likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM

A couple of sticks, a string and an archer who knows how to use them are the heart and soul of hunting. There is nothing, NOTHING, like trad-bow shooting and hunting.
Well, maybe not nothing, let's not get nuts here, but you know what I mean.

To them who have not tried it, there is hope for you yet.
To them who have given it up, repent and be welcomed upon your return to the Witchery of Archery.
Flintnocker likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Part of the Community

Never really has interested me. I use the compound and most of my deer iv'e killed have been within 15 yards of me so I feel I get in close anyways. I also don't have the desire to wound animals while using a traditional bow. Even the best people can make a good shot with a traditional bow and may still make an animal suffer. Make a good shot with a compound and that deer is dead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page