What Arrow and Broadhead are You Shooting This Year? - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
I think the big attraction with mechanicals has far more to do with the ability to shoot without meticulous tuning versus the size of the hole it makes. Some of the mechanicals, of course, push the fact that they make big holes, but for the end user, the field tip impact replication with less work is the more sought after perk.
That's a pretty dubious perk.

Less work doesn't get the same result. A broadhead tuned bow that will put fixed blade broadheads in the same group with field points out to 40 or more yards is going to produce better penetration with any type broadhead and be more reliable overall than one that isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Part of the Community

I know which broad head I won't be using....Back to fixed Muzzy's for me.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
That's a pretty dubious perk.

Less work doesn't get the same result. A broadhead tuned bow that will put fixed blade broadheads in the same group with field points out to 40 or more yards is going to produce better penetration with any type broadhead and be more reliable overall than one that isn't.
Believe me, as a guy who has had excellent results with 125 gr. Slick Tricks for a long time (with both compound and crossbow) and had countless complete pass throughs, I hear you about tuning/fixed blade being the best solution. I just get that vibe from reading around the interwebs (not here, specifically) that a lot of guys who don't want to bother tuning *at all* look to mechanicals as a band-aid fix when the season hits and they suddenly don't have time, or simply don't feel like, tuning their bow. To them, it's a perk to walk out the door and start flinging without having to tune. We already know the tradeoff that comes with that.

I gave Rage Hypodermics a try and, after one bad experience with poor penetration that admittedly still resulted in a deer dead within sight, decided to try them again this past season to see if it was a fluke. Surprisingly, I ended up with much better results on the two deer that I shot with them. At the distances I'll be hunting on my farm this year, they'll be fine and I plan to use up the remainder I have without concern. For better penetration out further, the Slick Tricks are going to be the choice every time.
tdd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Same as last season.

Victory VAPs. 95gr stainless outserts. 125gr single bevels. I have Bishop Scientific Methods I used on last year's buck and was extremely impressed. Prices have sky rocketed on them so I'm testing some other single bevels. I have some Cutthroats to test...

I'm a believer in the setup...weight, FOC, single bevel.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
Same as last season.

Victory VAPs. 95gr stainless outserts. 125gr single bevels. I have Bishop Scientific Methods I used on last year's buck and was extremely impressed. Prices have sky rocketed on them so I'm testing some other single bevels. I have some Cutthroats to test...

Take a look at Bone Broadheads. They're pretty good stuff. https://bonebroadheads.com/

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ramela View Post
Quote:
Same as last season.

Take a look at Bone Broadheads. They're pretty good stuff. https://bonebroadheads.com/
I'll be looking into these. Started out shooting BEAR heads that had the similar simple design, and were very good with fast recoveries. Thanks for the link!
Mark Ramela likes this.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Thanx Mark! They were on the list.... Everytime I've looked they've been on order....the design is interesting. It should make for a very strong head.

I shot my buck last season with a Scientific Method. He was a few feet from the base of my tree. Head down feeding. As I looked down he was slightly angled to my left. I had extreme confidence that my setup would do the job. I put the pin just on the right side of his spine (as I looked at it) right between the shoulder blade points.

The impact was so hard a very tight fitting Nockturnal nock backed out. The arrow exited dead center of his chest. With half the arrow still in his chest, it stayed in there for the 45yd death run and pulled out when he was crashing.

You can see the entrance just to the left of my linemens belt

That was the exit.

That was about as much as a test as you can get on a whitetail.

I'd had never taken such a shot with what many guys take to the woods. I tested my setup a bunch and the results left me confident.

The single bevel really does break stuff apart. I tested various wood and 3 and 4 blade heads and normal 2 blade heads usually held the wood together and stopped penetration unless the grain lined up just right. The single bevels popped the wood apart every time and blew right through it. It was actually impressive to see in person.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 AM
Part of the Community

Black Eagle Rampage with Wasp Drones.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As of now I’m not sure of my setup for this coming year yet. I just bought a 40 to 50 pound Elite Energy 35 due to my shoulder surgery. I have been working hard about an hour and half every other day stretching trying to get my range of motion back. Still have a long way to go but did pull the Energy 35 back once set at 43 pounds. I will know by this summer if a lighter arrow will be needed for my Elite setup. With three hunting bows and a plethora of arrows and broadheads I’ll be ready come opening day.
Mark Ramela and Goomstyle like this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Thanx Mark! They were on the list.... Everytime I've looked they've been on order....the design is interesting. It should make for a very strong head.

I shot my buck last season with a Scientific Method. He was a few feet from the base of my tree. Head down feeding. As I looked down he was slightly angled to my left. I had extreme confidence that my setup would do the job. I put the pin just on the right side of his spine (as I looked at it) right between the shoulder blade points.

The impact was so hard a very tight fitting Nockturnal nock backed out. The arrow exited dead center of his chest. With half the arrow still in his chest, it stayed in there for the 45yd death run and pulled out when he was crashing.

You can see the entrance just to the left of my linemens belt

That was the exit.

That was about as much as a test as you can get on a whitetail.

I'd had never taken such a shot with what many guys take to the woods. I tested my setup a bunch and the results left me confident.

The single bevel really does break stuff apart. I tested various wood and 3 and 4 blade heads and normal 2 blade heads usually held the wood together and stopped penetration unless the grain lined up just right. The single bevels popped the wood apart every time and blew right through it. It was actually impressive to see in person.
My buddy has the 650 grain arrow build from GrizzlyStik arrows and he uses a 200 grain single bevel Bone Broadhead. I've seen him shoot that through a steel drum inside his shop. The arrow completely went through both sides of the drum and through the wooden door behind the drum and was sticking 3" into a block target he had on the other side of the door. That was impressive. He said he was confident at taking a shot on a deer at any angle with his set up.

That was an impressive pass through on your buck!

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page