2019 Scouting Started - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

2019 Scouting Started

Went on my first scouting mission today picking up where I left off during flintlock. Covered new area across the road from where I normally go. Cut several tracks down low by the roads but nothing up top. No beds and no tracks. It was like having the run of someone’s house while they were away on vacation. Anyhow did find a few real big rubs but nothing to get overly excited about as far as hunting the area. The terrain and cover just wasn’t impressing me. I will give it another look come fall though just because of the big rubs I found and usually things look a little different that time of year. In season scouting is my most productive scouting anyhow. Regardless it’s never a bad thing learning new terrain and having options. Also helps eliminate areas as well. I will wait about another month to hit some of the better spots I discovered this season. Want to give the bucks more time for their antlers to drop. Walked 5.4 miles today . Also didn’t cut any coyote tracks which surprised me.
I am going to be using this thread all the way up until archery season to keep track of things. There are times I just simply forget where I have been or something I may want to revisit later on.
Anyone that wishes to add their own personal experience feel free to do so. I would really like to hear what you got going on in regards to scouting.
The fresh mountain air also helped cure most of my hangover that I had when I got up this morning.
casey, bigguy54, cspot and 2 others like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 01-27-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Nice. I am itching to get back down to camp to do some scouting. Got some stuff down around the house this weekend instead. Maybe next weekend as long as the polar vortex has moved out. I did some scouting in the late gun and muzzleloader seasons, but I still got some places to check out. Have a few places that I want to go back and look at again too. I am already excited for the next season to get here.
steelhead125 likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I was thinking today that one of these excursions may very well lead me to a spot I might be successful in come October/November. You just never know for sure where you will end up hunting come fall.
bigguy54 and cspot like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 01-27-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

One of these days I will learn how to post pics.
cspot likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

steelhead125 you have to Edit - resize your photos for them to be right side up !

I wanted to get out on the mountain this weekend to switch out my trail cam cards but the snow and ice on the mountain won't let me get back in there ! I want to check and see if the bucks in the area have dropped there antlers before I go scouting and push them out of the area and maybe drop them somewhere else ! I also want to use this snow to mark some trails and find some bedding areas and the main used trails !!
steelhead125 likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Every year we adventure on the other side of the road from the farm to squirrel hunt after Christmas till end of season in an 10 acre woodlot. This year was no different from years past, very few deer tracks in the snow. We weren't scouting, but we do take notice theres only a few deer tracks. After winter season? The place is loaded with deer on trail camera's & coming deer season, archery & rifle, thats the place to be to see deer & have a greater chance harvesting a deer vs across the road behind the farm in the woods.

Theres alfalfa, soybean,corn field's all around this patch of woods, but we never see more than a few deer tracks in the wood lot and in the fields in the winter months, plus cameras do alot of sleeping, nothing triggering to wake them up. My point is. Snow on the ground with very little tracks, deer sign, no trail camera photo's etc. some would think the area bite's. Coming fall that area could be the best spot than anywhere else.
steelhead125 likes this.
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm fortunate to have family in Virginia and North Carolina. Hunting NC for the first time this year and will be trying new areas in Virginia.

I started my scouting in earnest by looking over topo and aerial photo's on my computer. I've also talked to Biologist and/or Land Managers for the areas I'll be hunting. The information I've gathered is priceless and has allowed me to eliminate certain areas ahead of time. One huge piece of information I gathered about two of the areas I had selected is they run dogs for deer. I haven't decided yet how to play my strategy. One area also has a bow only zone that can be hunted during rifle season. Debating to find thick cover in the rifle zone with dogs pushing or take a shot at arrowing one in the bow zone. Not an easy decision especially since them dogs tend to push hogs too and I've never killed one of them.

Each area has been marked up with access roads, trails, likely funnels, pinch points, habitat edges, obvious terrain features and the areas of highest interest. I probably won't have time to scout on foot so I will depend on prior knowledge of reading maps for starting points. I will also scout while on the hunt especially while driving access roads or walking to and from stands.

I haven't started my scouting around home. I usually hit the woods in February and March.
steelhead125 likes this.

Good Luck & Shoot Straight
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The fresh mountain air also helped cure most of my hangover that I had when I got up this morning.

😂
jk6140 likes this.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I got out yesterday to scout a couple hundred acres by my house. I hunted it last fall because I got a DMAP for it but had never set foot on it before last season. I shot a doe in archery and even though the evening I shot that doe I saw 11 others, I never saw a buck in there. I didn't find much of any buck sign yesterday and have been thinking because of topo maps that the best bedding for buck is on private posted land nearby.

That piece of land is cut in half by a highway and I need to check the other side for sign. Maybe that area will have better buck habitat.
steelhead125 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in