Wet day doe. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wet day doe.

Was worth going out last evening. Had a great experience w/ a matriarch doe and she played games w/ m for about 1/2 hour as she knew something wasn't right, but I played totem pole/popsicle and didn't move for many minutes until she calmed. Got her to around 20 and took the shot. I knew at release that i was going to be a little front of ideal, hate that, but it happens. I pride myself on perfect double lungers and taking only high % shots (especially in this area as not all landowners appreciate our existence). While this was lethal for sure, it was not perfect, and took out the shoulder. No exit, so my work was cut out for me. Of course it started raining steadily, so i broke protocol and took gear back and got right after her. I've found that in the rain, its best to push if you don't see them fall, only if you know shot was lethal. I knew it was, so i pushed. In this particular spot, it is crazy CRAZY thick, and its EASY to lose them on a good day with little to no blood. I found good blood and knew she wouldn't be far. She was about 60yds from it. I jumped her, and could tell it was almost over. I watched and waited as I knew shed be headed for water, so followed that instinct. That was not the easy path for her, but the logical one. Logic prevailed and thankfully a few years of experience helped. Found her 30 yds from where i jumped her (walked right by her on first loop in the dark).

I share this for the newer hunters, because even us older more experienced hunters still aren't perfect all of the time. I've shot many many deer w/ bow, and still learn from each of them.

Headed to camp on tuesday and have a bunch of guys coming up to hunt. Going to be a fun week. Best of luck to everyone.

Shoot straight.....not often.

Nut
MQ-1, bigguy54, loridr and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM

Good post. I too shot a doe yesterday afternoon. I was in my groundblind with the crossbow. At that point it was only a misty drizzle. Big doe came in and stood broadside at 20 feeding. Lighted nock flight showed it was definitely a double lung hit, and she reacted like it and ran into some thick stuff but i didnt see her exit so figured she was down. Like you i was planning to immediatly follow due to the weather conditions and knowing i put a fatal hit on her. As i was gathering up my stuff it started a heavier steady rain. Looked at impact sight and first 15 yards or so of her run and found heavy blood, so instead of trying to follow blood i just went in the direction she crashed into the thicket, and found her laying not far away. After finding her i decided to backtrail the way she ran and found good blood but it was rapidly being diluted by the rain. Might have been a bit tricky to follow if i would have had to bloodtrail her. I usually avoid archery hunting in the rain, but since most of the day was only a mist i thought it was done.
loridr and Littlepines like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:17 PM

Congrats!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Congrats huntinlanscaper. Sounds like our stories are similar. Rain is tricky play for us harptwangers. I've shot a few in it, and can say that perfectly placed arrows with passthrough still can be a challenge with rain and bloodtrails. Takeaway is if you decide to hunt in it, you need to rely on on instinct and logic to help recover.

Best of luck in the next couple weeks.

Nut
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 PM
The Man

Congrats LP and HLS. Good job on the recoveries.
Littlepines likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the does, it was a miserable day
Littlepines likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Well done!
Littlepines likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:00 PM

Congrats

Congrats!
Littlepines likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage

Great job!! CONGRATS!!
Littlepines likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page