The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Tree stands removal

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
Don't forget that tomorrow is the last day to get your tree stands out of the woods except in the special regs area !
I got all mine pulled and put away today !

#12 ·
it was just a thought. what does it cost the PGC in man hours to deal with a road kill buck just to sell the rack for $10 bucks a point ?

since its a law that you can't leave them up, it needs to be enforced or removed from the books.

#11 ·
1. If you can not take it out, do not put it up.
2. This should be posted in both sections, General hunting and archery.
3. Any stand found after the deadline should be treated like trash.
4. When in doubt see #1.

Reactions: bohunr
#13 ·
bohunr, your from erie ,co, how many deer ya see the pgc picking up , most of the times heads are all ready gone. Check out all the stands left in the 109 game lands, When I'm in there trappin I see lots of stands that I'm not sure how they carried them in ,let alone get them out, some have just been abandoned, Just leave there money rot away or wasn't worth the effort to take them out. I hate seeing them deep in the swamp abandoned. Bob

#15 ·
I also saw several stands still in place while shed hunting with no tags on them ! 2 of which were left out all year last year to and I went to the local game commission office and reported them ! I even pulled up the map and showed them exactly where they were located ! I went by the area the other day shed hunting and they are still there so what good does it do to make a law and then not enforce it ? the one even has a gas well road that runs up 20 yds away from it ! It must have been used this year also because the straps were broke the end of last year and it was barely hanging on the tree but now there are new straps on it and its sitting on the tree and strapped in correctly !

#16 ·
One of my local SGLs is littered with wood permanent stands. I have found about a dozen this year just casually scouting this area, I don't even hunt it much so I know there are more. A couple are even plainly visible from the main road when a guy is up there in his pumpkin suit. I've been caching their GPS coordinates and one of these days I am going to have a discussion with the PGC office about them. If they don't do anything I may be doing some volunteer work. I'm not one to nark on every little thing..the littering of the woods with ladder stands and hang ons is going to take a few years to clear out the non-compliers, but this is a whole other level of absurdity!

#17 ·
about 33 years ago (ouch) i made a put together wooden ladder from 2 x 4's that i laboriously got into the woods up the "mountain" on SGL's just outside Ridgway. the reason being, there was a huge rock that i wanted to hunt off of, the top is flat with "smaller" rocks on top that made a natural shooting bench. neatest thing you ever saw once you got on top.

i got that ladder into the woods, used it to get on the rock which the low side was 16 feet, worked like a charm. got a deer, climbed down, took the ladder apart and hid it in a crevice under that huge mountain boulder, covered it with leaves. it was sealed, primed, sanded, painted, lacquered just about weather proof.

i never considered it littering as i was going to use it next year. the next archery season i decided i would try bowhunting off that rock instead of the usual gun season. i made the 3 hour drive, planned on hunting that evening and the next morning. when i got to the rock i found the ladder in pieces. i mean absolutely demolished.

i doubt it was a bear, if it was it certainly had to go through a lot to do the damage it did, worse yet was the time and effort it took to haul the pieces i could find back out of the woods. lesson learned. in todays world they make some very nice lightweight ladders that would work very nice up there and you could pack them in and out.

but that was 33 years ago. i would hate to think a fellow hunter did that, they could have just used it to get on top, i would have found a different spot to hunt. its not my land.

take it in, take it out. but that thing was BIG and HEAVY :)

#18 ·
I really have a hard time posting this but the PGC does not do much for hunters anymore. I know i will get bashed by the PGC lovers but I don't care anymore. What really bothers me is all the posts I red when guys call the PGC to report crimes and other infractions and I read they never get responded to. This is where I lost most of my respect for the PGC. I will continue to buy my license and hunt our great state until K no longer can but until the PGC starts to have a better customer service attitude I will no longer give them the respect they deserve. And this is coming from a previous State employee whose agency whose always came under scrutiny so I am used to the bashing.

#20 ·
I see stands all Season long. Also people using screw in steps on public land. It is irritating when you try to follow all of the rules and others do as they please. I have reported to the PGC who knows if anything was ever done. I am the only person I have see with a stand that had my CID or any ID on in the passed two seasons. Oh well people are going to do what they want.

#21 ·
Methinks this law is unenforceable. It's also Pandora's box.

PGC finds an unmarked stand, whose name are they gonna write on the citation??? Catch a hunter in it the following year, and the scofflaw says, "ain't my stand, try to prove otherwise."

As others have mentioned, they could form a volunteer force. Here Mr. and Mrs. Volunteer, these are the GPS coordinates, come on out, take em down and keep em. Permits, y'all? But can anyone imagine the PGC risking the possible liability of issuing/donating used stands to the volunteers?

Makes me wonder if they're asking for a law to make it a crime to hunt out of a stand that isn't tagged. Because, as I see it, that's the only way the original law could work. The current law now does nothing more than make WCO's trash collectors, with the added liability of a WCO falling when removing an old stand.

Poorly thought out law, if ya ask me. Improve it, or repeal it.

#23 ·
Methinks this law is unenforceable. It's also Pandora's box.

PGC finds an unmarked stand, whose name are they gonna write on the citation??? Catch a hunter in it the following year, and the scofflaw says, "ain't my stand, try to prove otherwise."

As others have mentioned, they could form a volunteer force. Here Mr. and Mrs. Volunteer, these are the GPS coordinates, come on out, take em down and keep em. Permits, y'all? But can anyone imagine the PGC risking the possible liability of issuing/donating used stands to the volunteers?

Makes me wonder if they're asking for a law to make it a crime to hunt out of a stand that isn't tagged. Because, as I see it, that's the only way the original law could work. The current law now does nothing more than make WCO's trash collectors, with the added liability of a WCO falling when removing an old stand.

Poorly thought out law, if ya ask me. Improve it, or repeal it.

Why is it unenforceable? It is a simple law. You have until this date to remove them. If by said date they are up, they remain property of the state or their agents.. It is really simple, guys get bent over the fact they have to actually take them out and get angry when they can not reserve spots for ever. It is simple laziness why they are still up.

#22 ·
The SGL where I hunt has a land management crew that cuts brush, removed all the hedgerows, (not sure why they did that)....the WCO says he send tem out to pick up stands.

They will be busy next week though because on my last ride through there I saw someone threw a couch down over the bank....

#24 ·
just hired some retired people to go walk the game lands looking for treestands, they get paid for each one they find and get some exercise in too.

i would take that job, starting to get a little bored since i retired 18 months ago. this weather ever breaks i'm gonna go try and kill some predators.

#25 ·
just hired some retired people to go walk the game lands looking for treestands, they get paid for each one they find and get some exercise in too.

i would take that job, starting to get a little bored since i retired 18 months ago. this weather ever breaks i'm gonna go try and kill some predators.

I like it, a bounty program. Pay the retirees to find them. Nothing stokes a bored retired guy more than fast cash and easy scouting for next year... You betcha...

Reactions: bohunr
#27 ·
I know the PGC does have limited resorces and doesn't have the time or the manpower to go out and look for treestands nor should they have to but when someone reports it and shows them the exact location to it something should be done ! Even DCNR could help out with it ! They don't mind helping write out fines for stupid stuff or wasting time afield as I have seen with my own 2 eyes and been told by one of the top employees themselves ! The one guy helps put the fences up and told me they were a joke and a waste of taxpayers money ! He then proceeds to tell me he even lets the gates open and even opens the gates to them so why waste the money ? He then preceeds to tell me how they then ride around in the trucks and shed hunts ! He said he learned a couple years ago that if he cut a couple holes in the fence (one on each side) where the deer use to run before the fence was there and that they worked as shed traps and they ride around and check them often ! Let them help out with taking them down ! They are out and about and you can't tell me they haven't seen them !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.