The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

10 pieces of firewood...

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  buckhntr48 
#1 ·
I made two benches for Daughter & Son-in-Law's campfire pit.
She called this week and ask if I would bring some campfire wood this weekend.
Wife & I were planning to surprise them with benches, so I said, 'yea, I'll bring you 10 pieces of wood.' She laughed and said, 'a little bit more than that, Dad.'

Delivery this weekend...
Table Furniture Wood Bench Outdoor bench

Outdoor bench Furniture Bench Outdoor furniture Table

Furniture Outdoor furniture Table Outdoor table Outdoor bench

Furniture Table Outdoor furniture Outdoor bench Wood stain

I added a personal touch...
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Plywood

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Thank you folks.

What kind of wood?
Bigbrownie, I forgot to mention what species of wood.
Tops- OAK
Legs- ASH (stained Golden Oak)

So the bark is Oak. I used Draw Knife to remove rough, ridged, sharp, outside bark Oak is know for. By slightly removing a bit, it's still natural looking, but smoother. Does give the appearance of Sassafras bark (now that you mention it), but I wasn't going for that.
I was thinking of our great-grand Daughter climbing, laying and crawling underneath these benches...lol. I was going for smooth- no rough, sharp edges and no splitters...lol.
On another note-
The two benches came from the same 10' slab.
One end, one side, the bark was torn off from skidding. So I removed remainder of bark to make a live edge bench. Two different looks from one slab.

#13 ·
Wow. What a couple of keepsakes. I'm thinking they put them out for a "settin' session", then bring them back in when not in use. At least I would. Quite the lasting memory of you once you're..... well..... once you........ well, when you aren't getting to camp any longer.

#14 ·
Nice work. I like building stuff like that and any type of wood project when I get the inspiration. It's fun for me. When I start getting request then it's not so much fun, more like work. Maybe I'll feel different when I retire .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.