The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Best shooting FACTORY rifles you've ever had ??

5K views 36 replies 35 participants last post by  mad4268 
#1 ·
Straight outta the box.................. no re-bedding, no trigger job..........just the way it came....... 3 shot or 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

And I'm talking about your average Remchesters, Weatherikkas and Savbergs, etc.............. Not McWorters, McMillans or other $5K custom guns........

#3 ·
The Weatherby Vanguard youth carbine in .243 may be the most accurate rifle I own.
Interesting...............

Both my older kids have Vanguard Youth carbines in .308 My son's shoots very well. My daughter's is INSANE !!!!! It is still in the factory black painted beechwood stock. It is legitimately a .25 MOA gun for 3 shots at 100 yards. Not just a one-time thing.............. it is repeatable.

Unreal shooter !!!!!

#4 ·
When i first got into hunting back in the late 70s, I bought a remington 760, 30-06 BDL and I was shooting beer cans at 100 yards without open sights.

Reactions: Buzzsaw
#6 ·
Within the parameters set here, most of my rifles are eliminated from consideration. Ssoooooo....My answer will have to be a Remington Model 788 in .222 Rem. Doesn't matter what load I shoot out of that rifle, I can cover a 5 shot group at 100 yards with a nickel.
Second place would be a Ruger M77 MarkII in .280 Rem, but only if I shoot Remington 165 grain factory loads out of it. For whatever reason, it loves that load and will hammer them in there all day long.

#8 ·
I have had two a a rem 788 in 223 and a rem 700 bdl in 7mm-08 both rifles would shoot consistently small groups with just about any load I used in them. Both rifles were bought used and I paid $200.00 each for them. Now I have had heavy barrel factory rifles that shoot small groups but these two had sporter barrels.
Drags

#10 ·
I did tinker with it a little, but nothing that a knowledgeable, gun owner and reloader can't do.
Don't remember the exact year, but it was a Remington 700 heavy barrel in 223. I adjusted the trigger screw to 1.5 lb, fire formed the brass, and reloaded my own pills.
I would fire one round down range to dirty the barrel, then fire 5 more, when you looked at the target you would swear I only fired 3, and like an idiot I ended up selling it.
Dang, I sure do miss that gun.

#11 ·
Have a Ruger Mark I 77V in .220 Swift that I have not shot in years. But when I had time.............way back when..........with a handload I came up with, it was routinely a .15" 3-shot gun, a .3" 5-shot gun and would go slightly under 2" 5 shots at 500m (+/-) 525 yards.

#13 ·
Weatherby Vanguard VGX deluxe 243 win. you can send any grain bullet down the barrel. She will make you do the happy dance. Another is my Browning X-bolt 223 Remington. I only shoot 65 grain sierra's out of her. Back in 1976 Dad got me a Remington 788 243 win. for my 11th birthday that work horse was a tack driver. It didn't produce clover leaf's it put them in the same hole...

Remington 700 BDL 308 with 180 grain sierra's. Browning A-bolt 284 130 Speer. Wish i could do this good with the 5 rifles i mentioned out of my Weatherby mark V deluxe lightweight 308. This was my dream rifle for many years, finally got one, but best i could do is 1" groups. I blame the tapered barrel lol...

#14 ·
Remington Model 7 Classic, granted I bought it used so I don't know if anything was done before I got it. Round always goes right where I put the crosshairs. Haven't shot a group in years, but it used to make one jagged hole at 100yrds. I joke with people that I don't know if the caps on the scope come off. I've never touched it. If I think I'll take it out deer hunting I'll go to the range and put one round through it. I usually take out the 10 on the target.

#17 ·
I had 2 Remington's, a 700 ADL in 6mm
That rifle got stolen from me

The other was a Remington 700 223 heavy barrel that was a tack driver got to heavy to carry around

Then I got a Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter in 223 that's a tack driver still have it

#19 ·
i have a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 i bought 34 years ago. if i do my part with Remington core-loks there is not a deer or groundhog out to 300 yards thats safe.

when i was younger i was making head shots on groundhogs out to 200 yards with that gun, topped off with a straight K-Mart all- pro 4 power scope, still have that scope but its on a .22 :)

#24 ·
Remington 700 SPS varmint in .223. It's actually my wife's gun, but I probably shoot it more than she does. 3 shot groups covered with a dime @ 100 yards are routine. I hand load but I honestly haven't even really experimented with different loads. The gun shows a lot of promise.

#26 ·
Savage 10FP in .223 with a 20" heavy barrel....... bone factory gun with FACTORY Hornady V-Max 55gr varmint
No need to handload for this one.
The most inherently accurate plain jane factory rifle I've ever seen.
(I have her topped with a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X with a fine crosshair / dot )

The group below is 5 shots at 100.....not 4! :surprise2::nerd:

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.