cast conicals - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

cast conicals

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning using conicals cast from Lee R.E.A.L. moulds. I've been doing this for several years with good results in a homebuilt flintlock with an Orion fast twist barrel. Casting a 250 gr slug, lubing with SPG lube and loading over 85 gr of 777 gives just under 1400 fps. Most recently, I tried them in a T/C Impact with 80 gr of Blackhorn209. Velocity increased to just over 1600 fps with promising accuracy...and much more noticeable recoil. I haven't always gotten complete pass-throughs on deer at the lower velocity, especially if bones were hit. The higher velocity from the Impact should solve that problem. Anybody else have any success with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM
The Man

Re: cast conicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsniffer
I haven't noticed anyone mentioning using conicals cast from Lee R.E.A.L. moulds. I've been doing this for several years with good results in a homebuilt flintlock with an Orion fast twist barrel. Casting a 250 gr slug, lubing with SPG lube and loading over 85 gr of 777 gives just under 1400 fps. Most recently, I tried them in a T/C Impact with 80 gr of Blackhorn209. Velocity increased to just over 1600 fps with promising accuracy...and much more noticeable recoil. I haven't always gotten complete pass-throughs on deer at the lower velocity, especially if bones were hit. The higher velocity from the Impact should solve that problem. Anybody else have any success with these?
I have no experience myself with them, but I heard more than one Canadian say they thought the all lead conical would be the way to go on their heavier shouldered game. They all say they experienced penetration issues, and switched back to a plain old roundball.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: cast conicals

I have used them for over 8 years and have better results using pure lead instead of wheel weights the 200 gr 45real bullet out of t/c hawkens over a felt wad 75gr 3f black powder is the best load I have found for the 45 .I do have gpr in 54 with 1/32 twist and I really like the pure lead hollowpoint powerbelt and 90gr of 2f black powder but if you are using a 50 try the lee mini ball with hollow base I think you will really like it pm me I will give you the recipe for it alittle heavier bullet and with blackhorn it might suprice you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page