need some help with conicals - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

need some help with conicals

I have some 50 cal Hornady 240 grain .512. These are pre lubed. I plan on shooting out a T/C New Englander rifle.

What if any patch do I need to use. Also what loads would ya use? I plan on going old school black powder.

will hunt for food....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Re: need some help with conicals

no patch with conicals..patches are for round balls...some guys use a wad over the powder with conicals but that one has a hollow base and a wad isnt needed..

get a manual for your rifle...

assuming the loads are the same for the Hawken 70-90gr of 2 or 3fg black powder should work...try different charges in 5gr increments to see what shoots best..

you may find that NONE of them shoot well and will have to play with patched round balls or different conicals..each rifle can like something different
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 PM

excellent advice,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks Mauser06. I have used patched balls in my hawken flinter and sabots in my in line. I never played with this type of round and rifle combo before.

will hunt for food....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 AM

No problem! I tinkered a long while....I shoot a ball-et which is nearly identical to the hornaday PA conical...

I found something that I think is great....my gun shoots exactly the same (as far as I can tell) with the ball-et and 70gr of 3f as it does with 90gr and a patch n ball..and I've tested it as far as I wanna shoot...I can shoot pop cans off a fence post at 25-30yds pretty much every time (that's how I unload..I say pretty much every time because once this season I had an awesome hang fire and pulled most left..that's the first time I recall missing the can..).

I love that though...patch and balls are cheaper...less recoil etc...so make for good range time...shoot a few groups with the Conicals to make sure they are still good to go and that's that...

I'm not familiar with the new englander...not sure if they have the same barrel as the hawken and renegade or not?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

besides I got 2x boxes of them for free! I got a guys "tackle box" full of MZ stuff. He was getting to long in the tooth and wanted it to go to a good home. Now I just need some time off to go play!

will hunt for food....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page