Close your eyes..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Close your eyes.....

Remember that old Beatles song ? It start out, "Close your eyes and I'll kiss you...." Well as I sit here wiping down one of my flinters for the long storage, I reflect on some past hunts. Quite a few harvests, but so many, many more misses. I know what I'm about to say goes against just about any firearm discharge reasoning, but, I honestly think a flinter hunter may just be better off closing their eyes that very slight moment after the trigger is pulled. I'm being dead serious too. You can go on youtube and get a frame-by-frame shot from flint to frizzen, to moment of ignition, and I tell you, there is almost no way the human eye cannot squint shut at that precise moment. I'm thinking it's almost better to actually close your eyes once your hold is true (so you may think), and at the precise moment that your flint hits the frizzen. My guess is that it would actually cut down on flinch and pulling off the target. You just have to train yourself to be steady on the hold once you are on target. I know such a thought fly's in the face of "normal" shooting convention, but I'd like to put a slow frame-by-frame camera on all of us "regular" hunting type flinter guys, to catch their eyes (I'll bet almost all squint if not close), and to catch the barrel movement (drop or raise) for the all too common flinch. Sooo, what say you ? Should we start practicing the hold true (target), squeeze (trigger), and close(eyes) method of flinter shooting ? I honestly think it will improve my accuracy.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Close your eyes.....

maybe some of us just flinch more consistently than others!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Reckon I'd be the first to stand as "guilty as charged".

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

didn't really notice how bad it was till i had a couple of just pan flashes. Woah i closed my eyes and flinched big time.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 AM

Practice more and concentrate on looking at the sights on the target. You won't even see the flint fall or the flash.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I'm going to get some more round balls and go to a range with a bench and just shot a lot. I take it the trick is to just keep shooting till you don't notice the flash.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:12 AM

yep...practice practice practice! lead and powder is getting a little more expensive..but still not horrible..20$ a pound of powder and 15$ for a box of balls and 5$ for patches..100rds for 40$ give or take..not horrible..

once you feel good..head to the groundhog field!

shooting from a bench is much easier..especially if you have a decent bag setup or some kind of sled..even if you flinch it sometimes wont make a huge difference on paper if your gun cant really move..

shoot how you hunt after you get good on paper..

many guys dont...and its a world of difference from shooting off a solid rest to shooting off your knee or however you usually hunt...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I usually I don't shoot off of a bench. I'm not a member of a club I just shoot out behind my house have a 100 yard range back there just shoot offhand or whatever. Am I better doing that than going to a range with a bench?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 AM

Don't shoot off a bench unless you are sighting in, or plan to shoot in a bench rest match.

Concentrate on the sights and target to the point that your peripheral vision is blocked out. concentrate on staying on target through the whole process and even for a few seconds after the shot. Till the smoke clears and you can see the target again. You won't even notice the hammer fall and flash. It seems to be easier when shooting at a small silohuette like a 6 inch steel plate at 50 yards. It doesn't take great accuracy, but shoot and hit until you can do it 10 times in a row. Then move it back to 75 and repeat. And then 100. It really shouldn't take all that much practice. perhaps 100 shots to become proficient on the deer vital size steel plate at 100 yards.

It is infinitely easier if you already have the upper body strength to hold the gun at the shoulder without fatiguing. I lift sacks of feed, bales of hay and chunks of firewood every morning and every afternoon. Some folks due to their jobs and life style, would have back aches trying to shoot a TC Hawken for 50 shots.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

The fatigue isn't an issue I do mason work. I will have to give that a try next week. I also have a Hawken and love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page