Muzzeloader shoot target ideas - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Muzzeloader shoot target ideas

My family is having a small family muzzeloader shoot in a month. I have been to a few shoots and seen some target ideas but was looking for some ideas for homemade targets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Re: Muzzeloader shoot target ideas

Frying pans hung from branches, clay pipes. Clays on a board, strings on a target, use your imagination.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have shot at various paper targets but not bullseye targets. As I recall one was a v where you shot one shot at the inside of the v and the one closest to the bottom of the v without touching wins. A diagonal line/bar can be used a couple of ways shoot on top or bottom and the closest shot without touching wins or shoot at the bottom the same way or shoot to hit the bar nearest the top or bottom shot closest to the end without hitting the white paper wins. An X on the paper gives opportunity to shoot any side without touching the x. An old double bitted axe blade and a couple of hanging clay birds on each side where you split the ball and break both targets wins. This needs a bit of prep as to where to place the clay targets but a shot without the clay targets will tell where to put them. Sounds impossible but the time I saw it, things went to the fifth round till a winner was declared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Oh you can play poker, have cards backing facing you, and the five cards you shoot are your hand! Limit the shots to 7 or be close like 25 yards, hit another's card and you lose your shot!

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Are you married ? We always liked "Knock the acorn from the fair maiden's head". Start at 100 paces, and move in 10 paces each round if all shooters miss.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

-Hot Dog hanging on a string.
-In the shell english walnuts tied to and hanging on a string. Enviro friendly, and will make the local tree rats happy!
-I have seen the small red (and other color) sponge balls on a string, the ones like on the old flyback paddles. Or other cheapy ones at one of the Marts or 5-Below. Maybe Jacks balls?
-If light or no wind, small balloons on strings. That will test somebodies Kentucky windage abilities! Add a couple BBs inside before you blow them up, to reduce wind influence.

"those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hang plastic coffee cans from branches out though the woods at variuos unknown ranges, make a woods walk out of it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM

I mostly shoot paper targets. But I have an old farm disc blade hanging on a chain at 100 yards and it really clangs. I also scavenged 2 other pieces of steel plate which are hung on chains. Easy targets, just a clay bird hung on a nail. Plastic bottles filled with water, or tin cans at various distances (not glass,) plastic and tin are easy to pick up and recycle.

Some clubs have a stake match. the shooters must cut off a pole, like an erect 2x4. usually the hits must be between two lines made with electrical tape about 6 inches apart.

I was once to a match that had a contest to see how far an object could be pushed, like a tin can. The shooter had to make the can travel down range. So just drilling it with a hot load defeats the purpose. Shooters would load with light powder charges to hit the can and make it roll or tumble down range. The first time I saw it down was with pumpkins, making the pumpkins roll when hit took some skill and finesse.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the ideas. Im gonna try and set it up so we can walk through the woods and shoot at different targets. Im thnkin we will do 10 shots.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM

You can hang plastic easter eggs from tree branches or place them on sticks. Charcoal briquettes hanging from a string are a fun target to hit. Steel cut outs of small animals hanging from chains are a little more durable and are good for more than one shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page