Mysteries of the hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mysteries of the hunt

Back in the early 80"s we used to go to Indiana for Deer hunt on Public lands but they controlled the number of hunters in the area. We got there and placed our vehicle in line at the gate to the hunting area (LaPorte area) As we readied our gear the night before I was getting my .50 Cal Hawkin ready when I noticed the touch hole insert was missing from my Flintlock (Panic Time!)Here it is 10 PM the night before the season and I have a dead Flintlock -at first I thought My buddies were pulling a prank - they swore they didn't take it.We search everywhere- no good.. No gunstores were open that late finally the guy who we stayed with started to call his buddies to see if we could "borrow" a touch hole liner or a gun for me to use.. Success we located a percussion gun that I could use..I asked the owner how did it shoot - he said slight front sight and it was right on.. Opening morning after I had missed 3 hugh bucks.. we took it to the range and for me it was hitting atleast 18" high at 50 yds.. No wonder the deer were ducking down!! got it sighted in - but never saw another buck in 3 days of hunting.. and to this day I never found the touch hole liner ... HMMMM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 AM

Re: Mysteries of the hunt

Kinda sounds like You forgot to put It back In after the last cleaning session?? I once went to a M`loader Shoot and somebody forgot to re-install the Nipple...stuff happens
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Part of the Community

I have NEVER removed mine to clean it. Is this bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:59 AM
The Man

Some do and some don't.No right or wrong.I do to get more volume of water to swirrel in that breech area to remove crud.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Not at all. Nearly all custom guns have liners that have no way to remove them except by destroying the liner.

It is natural for those accustomed to "suppository guns" to "need" to dismantel everything for cleaning. A good cleaning can be accomplished without removing the liner.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I like to take mine out (Lyman GPR) to get the breech really clean and also get a good cleaning of the channel. Someday when I can afford a custom gun I will have to adjust my methods but for now....it fires everytime and knocks'em down! If it works for ya....Keep doing it!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
Not at all. Nearly all custom guns have liners that have no way to remove them except by destroying the liner.

It is natural for those accustomed to "suppository guns" to "need" to dismantel everything for cleaning. A good cleaning can be accomplished without removing the liner.
What is a "suppository gun"?

Eh...wot?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM

I had a mystery once....have a brass pan primer I wear on a leather lace with a touch hole pick and pan brush...almost to the truck and I noticed it was gone...I knew I JUST had it because I primed my pan before the push and didn't go but 100yds...

We walked out as a group in corn field stubble..my buddy turns around...walks around a minute or 2...I wrote it off as lost..no way we'd see it...sure enough he picks it up! I still can't believe it...

I now carry 2 pan primers with me and a small pill bottle of 4f in my possible bag..

I usually push some water through the bore then take the touch hole liner out and do it some more....no real reason.....I just wanna know its CLEAN...I've pulled it after some longer shooting sessions and it was still pretty cruddy...i always use one of the Allen key headed ones which have a cone...I've had crud stuck in the cone...which is why I pull them...

Another reason to pull it is they will stick in there pretty dang good if you don't remove them from time to time and clean up the threads..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page