4F down the barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 3,673
Back To Top
4F down the barrel?

Due to some odd circumstances, I find myself with an opportunity to take the flinter for a walk tomorrow, but the only powder I have on hand is 4f. Can I use it in the barrel?

80% of Americans believe in miracles. The other 20% have been audited.
DadHuntsNow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
The Man
 
Buckshot1822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clearfield County (2G)
Posts: 5,829
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

NO!!!!!!!!!

Pressures get to high in the barrel with 4F

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Buckshot1822 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Regular Member
 
Bluemoonfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South central Pa
Posts: 1,421
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

That's what I use, just gotta watch the pressure!

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
Bluemoonfox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 AM
New Arrival
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

NO. There are a lot of things you "can" do like using gas to light a fire or welding a full gas tank -- do those things enough and you will know why people say "no."

4F down the barrel is one of those strongly advised against actions
mtnbum is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Butler County
Posts: 2,155
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

I value my fingers and face too much to shoot 4F anywhere but the pan. Borrow some 2F or 3F from a friend or swap some 4F.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
basdjs is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Saxonburg, PA
Posts: 118
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

Agree with basdjs.
Dano08 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Frequent Contributor
 
long hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lebanon County
Posts: 695
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

Another one for NO!!!!!!!! Dont DO IT.
long hunter is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,955
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

Go pick up some Triple Seven or Pyrodex if you can't get any real black powder. You can use 5-10 grains of 4f down the tube then load with the sub powder. By all means don't use a full charge of 4f down the tube or your just asking for a face full of shrapnel or your hand blown off. You can blow up a gun quick doing stuff like that and hurt yourself or people near you. Don't take a chance like that.

I also wouldn't recommend that you borrow any powder from anyone; who knows what they have.
mossie is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 2A-Wash. Co.
Posts: 16,446
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

Don't want DadHuntsNow to become DadHuntsNoMo

2A-Wash. Co.
Fleroo is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 PM
The Man
 
410-er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: 5B/northern lanc. co.
Posts: 6,378
Back To Top
Re: 4F down the barrel?

NO WAY! NO WAY!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
410-er is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome