need help with a minor issue - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

need help with a minor issue

First a brief history:: When Pa re-instated the early muzzy season, the first year was flint only, then it opened up to include inlines. I have ALWAYS used Powerbelts..With the first flinter I used Goex in the barrel and pan. My first inline was a Traditions E-Bolt-209. I used Pyrodex pellets under the Powerbelt. In both caes all worked well and all the general muzzy function were as expected.
Then they brought out the APP powder with their ad showing hundreds of rounds fired without the need for cleaning. I first used it in my E-Bolt and can't remember any issues. In the last 6 years or so in both my inlines and flinters, after the first shot, I notice the bullet being harder to push down the barrel. after about four or five shots I really have to push on the ramrod to get the bullet to go down. This "friction" occurs about 4 to 6 inches from the muzzle. Once the bullet gets past that restriction, it goes the rest of the way easy. I'm using 100gr 3FG of APP. My questions are: is it possible the charge is too hot? Not enough? Why would that restriction occur in the area of the barrel I mentioned?
The load is extremely accurate and I would hate to compromise that, but I can't figure out why in theses last years that restriction has appeared. When I clean the bore, I use a plastic brush and really work that area and when I fire the gun after that it goes back to the same routine. First shot goes in real easy the entire way down, and subsequent shots have the increasing friction about 4-6" down from the muzzle. And this does it in both my flinter and my inline. Any ideas?

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
JGR

Re: need help with a minor issue

You're fine, nothing to worry about. I don't know what the advertisers of this powder say but all black powder is dirty. And this should happen anytime you shoot the gun multiple times.

JR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have you found any of the plastic skirts from the powerbelt on the range? I just wonder if you have some plastic,melt down,I've had a crud ring on my inline but that is about 2-3 " from where the load is seated. The only other thing you may have to swab between shots and see what happens,I don't know how APP powder can go so long without cleaning.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

found some of the skirts and they look like they have never been shot. nice and smooth and no melting. When I first began using the APP it was in my E-Bolt and I fired 45 shots once without friction and the last bullet loaded without that friction. It's only been the last few year that this issue has popped up. Even though the skirts look good, I wonder if they are losing a slight "film" of the plastic, but if so, why at that point in the barrel? Only other thing is if APP has changed their formula a bit with the "burn" cooling off too soon.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I'm going to experiment with 80gr and again with 120gr and see if there's any difference.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM

thats typical, especially with inlines using 209 primers. If you can, try something like the winchester 777 or cci inline MZL primers, they are a cooler temp primer which helps cut down this crud ring. This has nothing to do with plastic or lead or any kind of build up other than just fouling build up from hot primers.

Those of us that use it with #11 caps will get a reverse crud ring that starts at the muzzle for the first 4" and then loads easy after that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

not doubting you but I can't see how a primer can cause an issue of crud near the muzzle. I would have thought that by the time the powder burn gets that far down the muzzle the primer would have no play in the game. Does the heat from the primer govern how hot or quickly the powder burns? I will certainly try those other primers and see if that helps, but can't figure out how using the 209 primer/app loose powder in the E-Bolt wouldn't have done the same. I ran over 45 shots through it without that crud. When I went to an Omega, the T/C Hawkin, and now the Triumph, is when the problem first surfaced. Could this possibly be eliminated by going to a shorter barreled gun?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 PM
The Man

Is this problem with ALL your muzzys or just one?

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

all of them

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Scrub it out with a good gun solvent that removes powder, copper, plastic and lead with a brush. Make sure to dry patch the solvent out before using it or oiling to store it. Also don't leave it sit in the barrel very long. If your patches are coming out blue it's copper; maybe from the power belt copper wash. Just my opinion but any muzzleloader should be swabbed at least every couple of shots. If your shooting lead bullets you need to scrub the lead out or just a little leading with rob you of your accuracy.

Using a ball-et type bullet in a deep rifled slow twist barrel is going to lead up in the grooves. With any gun keeping the barrel clean is mandatory for good groups. My bet is your muzzleloader has some kind of buildup in the barrel and needs scrubbed out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page