How long? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

How long?

I'm in the woods now with a new flinter. If I don't take a shot is it safe to leave the charge in the barrel or should I fire it off? If it is safe how long could it remain and still be shootable? Can leaving it damage the barrel? When I say leave it I am talking about until wed when I can get back to the woods. New to the bp world and learning as I go. Have found some good info in this and the traditional forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Re: How long?

If it hasn't been fired and didn't get wet it will stay fine....for a very very very long time...

Issue is....did a snow flake or rain drop fall in the touch hole just right??? Are you sure? Will you be upset if it doesn't go off because of it going bad?

Also...bringing it into a warm house...its going to sweat.....will it sweat inside the bore and chamber? Will it get wet? Again...is it worth the risk??

Some guys are fine with those odds...some store it in an outside shed or garage where it will be safe and not get warm...

Some guys use a CO2 discharger...it blows the load out the barrel...

Some guys...like me...I use a ball puller and pull the ball and dump the powder.... to me its cheap insurance and peace of mind...when I head back out I KNOW my charge is fresh and it should go off when I pull the trigger.....

Everyone is different...I know a guy "so cheap" he dumps his pan powder into a medicine bottle and reuses it....that is just crazy to me....same guy wonders why his gun doesn't go off too often! I dump pan powder all the time...I wipe my flint and frizzen with alcohol patches all the time...and if its messy wet out I pull balls and dump charges and reload in the field just to ensure my load is fresh and not wet....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

safety is the main concern with it being loaded in the house. its never been a problem for me. mine comes into the warm basement and has for 30 years, with no ill effects. the gun goes off without any problems. you will get many answers here and you will have to find what works best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

If the barrel was clean and oil free when loaded. Plug the Touch hole with a tooth pick and bring her in to warm up. It will be fine. Mine is sittin in the corner just in from the cold. The outside will get a wipe down after she is warm and put in the safe I wont get out till next Sat. But will have 100% confidense if i get a shot. Been doing it this way for 30 some years.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Reusing pan powder! Holy cheapness!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM
The Man

I took 2 of my 45's out this year.Touched off the custom Thursday after being in the snow and the 45 TC Hawkens emptied out tonite.Instant on both.
Keep the moisture out with a toothpick like Long Hunter said and you will be fine.I'd keep the same charge unless I hunt snow/rain.
With powder/lead getting higher priced and harder to find you gotta save your shots.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. One good thing is I will not have to worry about what to do on this outing. Double lung at 30 yards. Fell within 25. Sorry about pic quality but it was dark by the time I got her gutted and back home. I think I will like this flintlock thing. I also think I will empty the gun if it will be more than a day before I go back out. If it is only overnight or the next evening then I will plug the touch hole and keep the gun where it's not going to sweat. On a side note don't blast me for the synthetic stock flintlock. It's a TC firestorm... I wanted to see if I would like flintlocks before I dropped too much into a traditional long rifle and all the accessories. My neighbor let me borrow everything, except for the gun, that I needed to fire off some rounds and hit the woods. I was happy using round ball and patches with a true BP load behind it. I was confident out to 50 yards and made this shot count.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned

Way to go.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Congrats on your kill!

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Congrats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page