"Magic Hour" strikes again! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

"Magic Hour" strikes again!

Well, I got off work at 3:30, and hauled tail to the new property I obtained permission on this year. Now, i don't need anymore deer meat, but the landowner asked that i try to get him a deer (right after rifle season ended) as he wouldn't have a chance to deer hunt this year. So pressure's been on this whole late season. I had numerous close calls with my bow back there, and had a few little fella's right in the "kill zone" with the flintlock...

but there's quite a few BIG does running around, and I was after a decent doe to give to the landowner.

Well tonight after work i jumped into my insulated bibs, new LL.Bean Wool hunting jacket, grabbed my beanie, flinter and possibles bag and ran back into the woodlot. I went up to the nearest ladder stand and climbed in.

I was set up by 4:00, and at 4:20 the start of the "Magic Hour" i look over my right shoulder and here comes a big doe and a little one. They stop about 40 yards away, and i have a pretty clear shot at the big doe, pull the set trigger, squeeze the trigger and CLICK! WT_!!!!!! The big doe went on alert, but didn't know where the sound came from... I slooowly pulled the hammer back to full cock, reset the frizzen, set trigger, realigned the sites.... squuueze CLICK!!! WEll i fully expected the doe to be gone, however she stood there, just looking around for the source of the sound. I saw a good spark the 2nd time, so I slowly reached into my pocket, grab my priming powder, and give another good tap into the pan. go to full cock again without spooking her, set trigger... align sites... squeeezzzeCRACKBANG!!!!!!!!!! All i saw was a deer jumped straight into the air at least 5' high, like a pogo stick. STRAIGHT UP!.. then i heard her take off crashing through the brush. I knew she was hit, but wasn't sure how good.
After reloading, went down and inspected the impact zone. Found a HUGE pile of brown hair, and about 5 yards away found really fine sprays of blood. To make this long story short, i jumped her off her bed about 40 yards into the track, so i backed out and came back in after dark (6:20) after letting her go for about 2 hours. About 40 yards past where i jumped her, there she lay. It was an awesome end to a great season!

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: "Magic Hour" strikes again!

Good hunt and good story. Doc in Pa.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

You ever need help thinning a few down there in the urban zone you let this guy know

Nice gun

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Part of the Community

Way to go Phil, nice fat doe. OK, so deer was standing there, with no snow. You fired, now frizzen is up, you take picture first, reprime, shoot again, deer runs off, now only two hours later there is 3 inches of snow on the ground? I had to ask.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great story and a big doe! Looks like a Renegade did the job.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way to stay with it, nice to take care of the land owner.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM

very nice

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
The Man

congrats.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewaterhunter
Way to go Phil, nice fat doe. OK, so deer was standing there, with no snow. You fired, now frizzen is up, you take picture first, reprime, shoot again, deer runs off, now only two hours later there is 3 inches of snow on the ground? I had to ask.
"Ahhh nutz"... you got me!!! LOL no, the first two pics are from a morning hunt last weekend. I didn't pull the trigger on that one...it was a little one. just thought it'd make a good pic... i was at full cock, with set trigger pulled when the little deer came in so instead of spooking it and letting the hammer down, i just push the frizzen up for safety.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
The Man

Congrats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page