barrel ignition.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

barrel ignition..

After the first shot went off at the range shot 2 would not even tho the flash pan went off all 5 times/ i cleaned the breech hole and still nothing. so i went home and stuck a wire up in the hole towards that barrel. i put a small amount of 3f powder in the hole and put the plug back in. I was gonna go see if it fire now, was that a bad idea for any reason?

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

Re: barrel ignition..

All TC flinters have a patent breech which is a smaller than bore diameter recess and the vent hole leads to that chamber. When you load make sure that the barrel powder gets down into that chamber and also into the passage to the vent. This will cut your flash in the pans down to pretty much nothing. If you have fouled your bore from a previous shot you need to clean that recess and clean the vent channel to be sure it will fire. The fouling takes a few min. to suck moisture out of the air but it will dampen your next charge. Clean the fouling out every shot. Many times it will fire if you don't clean fouling but when hunting why take the chance; it only takes a few min. and it will pretty much always fire. I haven't had a mis-fire in many years but I keep the fouling out when hunting.

A good way to make sure the charge gets out to the vent is to pour you charge in after swabbing the barrel, the recessed chamber, and running a pipe cleaner into the vent. When you put your fresh charge down the bore use a cleaning patch to pump up and down a couple of times. The air pressure will push the charge out to the vent. Check with a vent pick to make sure and then put your patched ball on the charge. Fill the pan to just below the vent hole but not covering it.

Keeping your gun fouling free (I use denatured alcohol), your powder dry and out to the vent and your flint sharp are the keys to no failures.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I give the barrel a couple "bumps" with the palm of my hand. This (I'm hoping ) is a similiar technique to get the powder into the breech. Since I load a duplex load this also is to (hopefully) get my first charge into the breech.

I'm liking Mossie's idea!!

I can't remember the last misfire I had. I agree with Mossie that the key is CLEAN and NO FOULING. It takes time to make sure but if the gun fires every time it's worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 PM

sounds like when you reloaded you gun you pushed some residue fowlings down the barrel and blocked the touch hole i pick the touch hole after every shot

hate hang fires
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 AM

I put two shots of 4F in the pan. I used to tilt the gun so the powder would lay against the barrel in the pan. I had a buddy of mine who has muzzleloader hunted for years tell me. You put the powder in the pan,close the frizzen, and tilt the gun so the powder is away from the barrel in the pan. What this actually does is it blows the flame into the barrel making the gun go off ALOT quicker,considering the touch hole is no obstructed. Loading the pan and firing it this way keeps the touchhole from fouling so much.I also replaced my touchhole with an Uncle Mike's which is alittle bigger than factory. hope this helps.

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffer
I put two shots of 4F in the pan. I used to tilt the gun so the powder would lay against the barrel in the pan. I had a buddy of mine who has muzzleloader hunted for years tell me. You put the powder in the pan,close the frizzen, and tilt the gun so the powder is away from the barrel in the pan. What this actually does is it blows the flame into the barrel making the gun go off ALOT
quicker,considering the touch hole is no obstructed. Loading the pan and firing it this way keeps the touchhole from fouling so much.I also replaced my touchhole with an Uncle Mike's which is alittle bigger than factory. hope this helps.
I've been hunting with a flinter since the 70's and I can tell you this is good advice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 AM
The Man

I can also tell you that if you think your primer stays there your kiddin yourself unless you tilt the gun before discharging.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 AM

You may be right, but I have noticed my muzzleloader going off a lot fast then if you have the powder piled up against the barrel. Just trying to help out.

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 AM
The Man

I know you are and it is admirable,I,m just sayin.I don,t think anyone piles it up against the barrel,but it is always good to tilt towards and lighly tap with your palm to set your charge then you can level off your rifle or lean away and you,ll be fine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Been doing this flint thing for many years. Have had many misfires over the years. I'll tell you this, one of the best ways to enhance barrel ignition is to NOT prime the pan UNTIL right before you are ready to shoot. I know many guys do not like hunting this way in fear that they won't have time to prime or can't move when a Deer is in range, but, on a humid day, that 4F in the pan will without a doubt gain moisture. Many times that moisture will coagulate in the touchole and block it up.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page